Author Topic: Sunn Sentura II Lighted Power Switch Wiring  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Jim J.

Sunn Sentura II Lighted Power Switch Wiring
« on: July 20, 2015, 12:14:55 pm »
Hello! New to this thread. It's great reading that there are folks out there keeping the good old Sunn amps the subject of a forum. Thanks in advance!

I've got a Sunn Sentura II that I am working on right now. I did a recap and a modification to a grounded plug. My issue is at the lighted power switch. I am not sure which terminal is for which wire. I am pretty sure I have the wiring correct from the plug: white wire as neutral routed through the accessory outlet then to a primary of the transformer. The black wire as hot has been wired through the accessory outlet plug, through the fuse, then to the switch. The primaries are black and white, so I am matching up the black wire to hot side and the neutral side to the white wire. The plug has been grounded as needed on a lug connected to a screw on the PT. Two things of note: first, I am probably going to rewire to eliminate that accessory plug since it is not polarized and, second, the polarity switch has been completely eliminated (death cap removed). My questions are:

1. How should my wiring be done on the switch? In other words, which wires go where? This is a three lug switch with a light.
2. Do I have my plug routed to the correct color primaries? One is white, the other is black. I took the liberty of matching hot and neutral with the corresponding wire colors. Do I have this backwards?

The view of the switch is upside down of course as the chassis has to be turned so as to work on it. I have attached pictures for reference. If anyone has pictures of the correct wiring scheme, that would be helpful.

Thanks!
Jim.

Offline Jim J.

Re: Sunn Sentura II Lighted Power Switch Wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 09:27:55 pm »
I finally got this Sunn working but without the light coming on on the switch. I had to sort out a transformer that was missing two yellow wires for the tube rectifier. I rebuilt a solid state rectifier present in the amp but wired wrong. It works fine! Any ideas about getting the light to work would be helpful.

Offline BassHog

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 01:08:33 pm »
If you look at the schematic, the lamp in the power switch requires a connection to both the Hot and the Neutral in order to light. It gets the hot side from the power switch when you turn it on, it used to get the neutral from the polarity switch next to it, but this was removed when the polarity switch was disconnected and the new power cord was installed. You need to run a connection from the 3rd tab on the power switch to the neutral.
67 Sunn Solarus
70 Sunn Sceptre
71 Sunn 350B

Offline Jim J.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 12:24:55 am »
Thank you BassHog for clarifying that!

Offline Stratmanx

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 06:56:10 pm »
Hi folks,

I'm in the same boat and just wanted to clarify and make sure I'm on the right track.

Going by Jim J's pictures I've labeled the lugs on the power switch 1, 2, and 3.

So going by Basshogs suggestion, all I should have to do is come off of the neutral (White wire) that goes to one side of the primary after the re-wire as described above and connect that to the # 3 lug I've labeled ?

Thanks guys !

http://fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=83423

Offline Stratmanx

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 09:11:52 am »
Bump..

Any idea if this will work ?