Author Topic: The best Sunn bass amp  (Read 6949 times)

Offline Mr. T

The best Sunn bass amp
« on: March 09, 2003, 08:09:36 pm »
Witch Sunn bass amp do you think is the best sounding and most reliable?

Offline RichBriere

• http://www.richbriere.com
The best Sunn bass amp
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 11:34:58 am »
Mr. T.......are you looking for NEW or Vintage? In either case, the answer would be.....YES!..........with, of course, a few exceptions. What are you currently looking at?   8)
MTD & Sunn: They're addictive!  :^>)

Offline Mr. T

The best Sunn bass amp
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2003, 05:12:16 pm »
I play the guitar and just recently bought a American Fender P bass and I want a good sounding amp to play it through but I am not shure witch Sunn bass amp would be good for me, It will need to be loud eneough to play with my band when we practice or gig.
 I would like a vintaged amp like the Concert bass or Coliseum bass, I have heard that the 300 T is real nice but is $$$

Offline iammh

The best Sunn bass amp
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2003, 05:26:26 pm »
I currently own three Sunn amps and like them in this order.  2000S, Sonaro, and 200S.  I had a Studio Bass but sold it because the other three sounded so much better.

Offline sunn

The best Sunn bass amp
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2003, 11:25:38 pm »
i play a japanese p-bass through a silverfaced concert bass and a 2x15 cabinet. I'm really happy with the sound...results may vary...

AMPS

sunn bass amps
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 01:07:46 pm »
I have had success getting solid sounds out of a vintage colloseum 300.
At 300 watt @ 2ohms it provides plenty of power. It also has a very broad EQ and crossover section that gives the user much more control.

If you are looking for a dirtier sound The beta bass can sound great. the built in gain can sound great.

Offline made by hand

BASS AMP
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 05:32:55 pm »
WELL, HERE WE GO AGAIN..IF YOU CAN GET YOUR LITTLE HANDS ON A 200S WITH CAB, YOUR SEARCH FOR AN AMP IS OVER FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE,,, IF YOU CAN GET A 2000S WITH CAB, YOU'VE HIT THE HOLY GRAIL.  I'VE BEEN PLAYING THRU BOTH FOR OVER 30YRS AND I'VE NEVER NEEDED ANOTHER ,  MAKE,,,, AMP . NEVER..SO NOW THAT YOU'VE GOT YOUR INSTRUCTIONS....GO GET ONE.....

Offline youDEVILyou

• http://www.thebearpress.com/phpBB2/index.php
The best Sunn bass amp
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2003, 12:40:11 am »
ahhahaha

all that wattage has made his eyes deaf

gbarchus

200S cabinet
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2003, 05:32:10 pm »
I want to add an "amen" to the 200S cabinet being one of the best sounding cabinets. I have used one for over 30 years with Fender Showmans, Ampeg SVTs and now a 300T. You have to be careful with JBLs. The cabinet is NOT tuned (theile/small) for them. And remember, when they were built, the amps were only putting out 120 watts!

Gale

Offline Rocketboy

She loves me; she loves me not...
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2003, 08:29:51 pm »
If you can get your hands on a good coliseum head, it will work well with an American P.  A lot depends on the style you play and the volume you require, if you have to play with a pick, etc.  300T is always the best choice.  Especially with a P-Bass, you may not like the sound of hybrid amps; with a straight P-Bass I would be inclined to go all solid state or all tube.  200S sounds beautiful, but not practical if you need it to play really loud.  Does your bassist also double on the guitar?
Heads up, everybody!

Offline Jr

The best Sunn bass amp
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2003, 08:54:51 pm »
this may or may not help but the best bass amp is anything that felix pappalardi touches

Offline Rocketboy

felix pappilardi
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2003, 09:40:25 pm »
Great guy.  Great times.  Great drugs.  Great results.  Hardly a bass god.
Heads up, everybody!

Offline sunnpeg

The best Sunn bass amp
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2003, 06:27:00 am »
I can only speak from my own experience.  My 2000S is the bomb!  I have tried it with various speaker configurations (and various basses)and it works well with vintage and modern models.  It also has plenty of headroom for most gigs.  I don't play as loud as I used to but I believe that the 2000S would be sufficient for most gigs.  I have never turned it up past two on the volume pot.

Offline Jr

The best Sunn bass amp
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2003, 08:47:30 pm »
i don't think there is any bass or guitar "god" for that matter