Author Topic: 2nd Gen Model T changes ? Mike_Sims ?  (Read 4576 times)

Offline gtrplayr1976

• My 1st gen. Model T 1977
2nd Gen Model T changes ? Mike_Sims ?
« on: November 21, 2010, 06:51:26 pm »
Ok, so who has used this mod on the 2nd gen Model T ?  There are some details I could use clarification on.    I know when this link was first posted someone had commented on how good it worked. If you're there , I'm hopin you can help. 
Mike?  have you used this ?

Thanks a heap.

http://www.angelfire.com/blog/sunnmodelt/index.html
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 07:26:38 pm by gtrplayr1976 »

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: 2nd Gen Model T changes ? Mike_Sims ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:51:05 am »
I have made two of those mods, those of correcting the master volume and eliminating the mid boost at zero. I am very pleased with the results.
Isaac

Offline gtrplayr1976

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 11:10:53 am »
Hey Isaac,   Did you move the tone controls ?  I'm having a little trouble understanding that part. Seems there may have been a couple of things left out that were changed.

Thanks for the reply, Tom

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 03:06:15 pm »
Indeed. The previous owner had all those changes made the Model T pre-my getting it. I've played a couple other 2nd gens and it's not a massive, huge "oh my god" difference, but it's noticeable. Definitely gives you a little more snarl. I believe he had a little cap installed on the treble pot as well to give it a little more boost (being that the 2nd gen's seem to be a little darker sounding than the 1st gens). The good thing is, from what I understand, all those mods are reversible. So you won't really be doing anything you can't undo (if it's done properly).
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline gtrplayr1976

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 03:24:00 pm »
Indeed. The previous owner had all those changes made the Model T pre-my getting it. I've played a couple other 2nd gens and it's not a massive, huge "oh my god" difference, but it's noticeable. Definitely gives you a little more snarl. I believe he had a little cap installed on the treble pot as well to give it a little more boost (being that the 2nd gen's seem to be a little darker sounding than the 1st gens). The good thing is, from what I understand, all those mods are reversible. So you won't really be doing anything you can't undo (if it's done properly).

Thanks for the reply. I am in the middle ,or actually toward the end of the mods, but I've hit a little snag with the instructions.  I think there may be a small part missing. Can the person that posted these be contacted.  Have you ever opened yours up ?

Thanks, Tom

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 03:37:27 pm »
I'm not sure if that guy is reachable, but I have opened mine up a lot. What's the problem?

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline gtrplayr1976

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 04:31:16 pm »
ok...I have gotten to the part where I need to move the tone controls.  I think he called it  "The Second Notch"  anyway there is a white wire with a green strip that goes I think from the coupling cap off off the plate to the Master volume.  It looks that this wire has been cut at the lug where the cap is,and reattached to first lug by the bass pot,and a piece of white wire with blue strip soldered at the same terminal , then to the 250pf cap ,and then to the treble control.  Howevewr he didn't mention anything about this white/green wire ,but the pics show something has been done there.  Hope this isn't too confusing...i think I confused myself.

Thanks, Tom

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 07:42:28 pm »
hmmm... I'll take a look at the schemo I have and some pics (since my amps are at my practice spot in a different city) and see if I can figure it out.. But, you mentioned white/blue striped wire, if it's the wire coming from the master that's the wire that can be cut to eliminate the "volume leveler" 

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline gtrplayr1976

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 07:48:09 pm »
Yeah, the blue/white wire I have disconnected.  It's the green/white I'm trying to figure out. Geez...how far you have to go to rehearse ?  lol

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 09:46:23 pm »
Well I tried finding a gutshot online (I had a few on my pc but they've disappeared for some reason) and alas I could not. Could another member donate a 2nd gen gutshot? Is this the white/green wire you were talking about?

http://www.angelfire.com/blog/sunnmodelt/sunnphotos/dcp00279.jpg

our rehearsal space is about 20-25 minutes from my place. I have a Model T at my house too but it's my first gen so that wouldn't really  be any help :-\
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:00:00 pm by mike_sims »

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline gtrplayr1976

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 05:03:35 am »
I couldn't open the image link, but I've attached pics where you can see the wire in both states.  In the first picture you can see the green/white wire from the coupling cap running under the 10uf cap,and off to the right toward the master volume.  Second pic shows the termination at the master volume on the outside upper lug.  Third is another angle of the first pic.  The last pic you can see the G/W wire looks to have been cut ,and reattached to the first lug .   BTW I have a gut shot of the original, before I started making the changes.

Thanks

Offline gtrplayr1976

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 07:05:11 am »
Thanks . I appreciate that, but I do have those also...except the hand drawn one.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 11:31:55 am »
Hey Isaac,   Did you move the tone controls ?  I'm having a little trouble understanding that part. Seems there may have been a couple of things left out that were changed.

Thanks for the reply, Tom
No, I like the tone controls as they are, so I didn't mess with them at all.
Isaac

Offline gtrplayr1976

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 07:43:21 am »
Well....since I have no positive evidence on this white/green wire , I'm going with my instinct, and from the original photos . I'm cutting the white wire with the green strip coming from the coupling cap , and attaching it to the first lug on the line with the 50K resistor off the Bass pot. i will take another piece of wire from there to the 250pf cap, to the first lug on the treble pot, from the center lug on the treble pot to the top outside lug on the Master where the white/green wire was originally attached. This should complete the mods.  I hope  :-D   Any concerns please let me know..

OK....after rereading the pages, I think I found the little tidbit I was looking for to confirm what I was going to do anyway.  It just wasn't as well labeled as the rest, but it is there.  Now I can hopefully get this done successfully. 

Thanks for all the help.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:17:26 am by gtrplayr1976 »