Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 2949 times)

Offline doc10039

Is it worth it?
« on: October 31, 2010, 01:26:08 pm »
Looking at PT's is it worth it to go Mercury Magnetics for $300, a Triode for $105, and I am waiting for Heyboer to get back to me? I want the best I can get for the money as I will use this amp steadily for playing out several times a month.

Thanks

Doc

Offline Soundmasterg

Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 12:05:17 am »
I would go with the Triode Electronics one. They had a good US maker clone the old Dynacos and added a little better filament current capability so they run cooler than vintage ones. Everyone that I know who has used one has been happy with it, and that is where I would go if I needed a new one. Heyboer makes good stuff, but sometimes they can be a bit slow to respond to inquiries. I've used thier stuff in some amps and plan to use more. I've heard Mercury Magnetics stuff and I think it sounds good, but they charge so much for their product that I can't justify spending the money on their stuff when I can get something perfectly fine for half the price or less that sounds just as good.

Greg

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 06:55:44 am »
I agree that Triode is probably the best best. I'm pretty sure that Heyboer would have to build you a "one off" transformer for a Sunn, and that could make even the Mercury iron seem inexpensive.
I think the models they list on their website are products they already build in quantity for other manufacturers, I believe them to be primarily more of an OEM supplier who builds to spec rather than a single unit retailer.

Let us know if/what they respond to your inquiry.

Offline doc10039

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 02:27:01 pm »
Got my new PT from Heyboer. The cost was $110 plus $12.87 shipping. Just getting ready to do the finnishing touches. The lead time on the PT was about 2 weeks as they had to build it. I can't wait to try it out.

Doc