Author Topic: Model T reissues?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline mdrv700

Model T reissues?
« on: January 26, 2006, 11:59:45 am »
are these model t reissues legit? can someone give some info about them.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Model T reissues?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 12:20:17 pm »
I don't know of anyone, anywhere that has ever produced a reissue of the Model T.  But just because I haven't heard it don't mean it ain't so.  If you have some reference, please post it.

But, if you're talking about the channel switching Fender version that was discontinued some number of years ago - it was not a reissue.  It just used the same name for a completely different amp.

Offline usesnumbers

Model T reissues?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 03:00:53 pm »

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Model T reissues?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 03:31:07 pm »
Quote from: usesnumbers
Quote from: mdrv700
http://cgi.ebay.com/SUNN-MODEL-T-REISSUE_W0QQitemZ7385532665QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tis a fender model t

Yep.  For future reference, real Model Ts (or anything trying to pass as a re-issue would) use 6550 output tubes.  The Fender uses 6L6s and is rated at 100 watts vs the 150 watt rating of the real thing.

EDITTED because I ignored the "reissue claim".

This is not a reissue amp.  Even Fender didn't claim that it was a reissue.  Obviously the seller doesn't have a clue.

Offline mdrv700

Model T reissues?
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 03:41:24 pm »
thank you, so not that legit?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Model T reissues?
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 04:10:49 pm »
Depends on what you mean by legit.

Fender bought Sunn, and had every right to use the names Sunn and Model T, so it's completely legit by that criterion. As pointed out, though, it's nothing like the original or second generation Model T amps.
Isaac

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Model T reissues?
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 04:13:37 pm »
Quote from: Isaac
Depends on what you mean by legit.

Fender bought Sunn, and had every right to use the names Sunn and Model T, so it's completely legit by that criterion. As pointed out, though, it's nothing like the original or second generation Model T amps.

Fender has the "right"... just not the sound.

Offline mdrv700

Model T reissues?
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 04:48:49 pm »
thanks!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Model T reissues?
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 05:08:15 pm »
Quote from: JoeArthur
Fender has the "right"... just not the sound.
I can't argue with that, except to say that the Fender Model T is said to be a very good amp in its own right.
Isaac

Offline Concert410

Model T reissues?
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 06:17:31 pm »
I just bought a NOS Fender/Sunn T-50c which is the 50 watt 1-12 combo version. The amp sounds great on both channels, with humbuckers and single coils, and is built like a tank. It retailed for like $1500. in 1999/2000 and were blown out for like $500. a couple of years ago in the MF catalogue. If you need to see what the amp is all about, it was reborn as the Fender Pro Series Pro Reverb and is still in the current catalogue. I paid $500. for mine which had been sitting unsold in a music store near me for years. It comes with a 3 button footswitch for channels, reverb and effects loops (one for each channel) which can be used as a switchable boost.