Author Topic: Why the Lack of Sunn Clone Amps?  (Read 13940 times)

Offline jdfarrell81

Why the Lack of Sunn Clone Amps?
« on: June 05, 2010, 08:56:13 am »
Given the increasing popularity (and price) of Sunn Amps, does anyone have a hunch why there aren't any Sunn clones being made? I've heard of the occasional hobbyist making an attempt, but I'd expect boutique builders to be jumping on the bandwagon, especially with amps like the Model T and 2000s.

Offline HRobert

Re: Why the Lack of Sunn Clone Amps?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 12:04:56 pm »
Fender Musical Insturments owns the rights to Sunn and the name.  One must be very careful not to infringe on copyright ownerships.  EdBass, who is on this site, has brought up the subject and has had a number of interested parties to his possible future project.  Lok for his post regarding the subject.

Rob

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 12:21:28 pm »
Hi Rob, thanks for the response.

I saw Ed's post, which is what got me thinking about it. I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone infringe on FMI's copyright, but clones abound for many other sought after amps. I'm sure the Sunn name, logo, likenesses, etc. are all strictly protected, but the circuits/designs aren't, are they?

I'm not positive, but I don't know of any legal reason someone couldn't take the schematics for, say, a Model T, build a clone, call it "Super Amp X," and be in the clear.

I suppose I'm just young enough to fear that I'll see the day when Sunn amps are nearly impossible to find or prohibitively expensive to acquire.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 01:06:36 pm »
Questions like this always hinge on the classic rules of supply and demand. A clone of a Model T would have to sell for something between $3000 and $5000 for a boutique builder to make a profit building them. With vintage units selling for around $1500, sales would be few and far between. Boutique builders would be ok with the low sales, (they pretty much build amp one at a time) but no mainstream amp company would put forth the effort. You could maybe get the Fender Custom Shop to make you one for between $5000 and $10,000. Just look for clones of the four input 100W Marshall or 100W Hiwatt. You won't find many. Those are pretty close to what a Model T would have to go for.

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 02:33:22 pm »
A friend of mine bought an Emperor 4x15 a while back and I talked to him about the heads Emperor had started making.  I'm not sure if they ever went on to make them or are still making them, but he said something about it being like a Model T.  I can't remember exactly what he said, but I know he said something about Model T and Emperor in the same sentence.  Maybe try to look up a review of the head(if they ever actually produced them to a market) on Google or something.

Offline Oli

• FEED YOUR HEAD!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 12:47:08 am »
Hi,

I think Weber does a sort of 100s clone as a DIY kit.

Greetings

Oli
SUNN Sorado - 1969 / SUNN 2000S - 1970 / SUNN Sorado  - 1971 / SUNN 350B - 1973 / SUNN Coliseum 880 - 1973 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1972 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1979 / 2x SUNN 215B - 1970/75 / SUNN/SAD 2000S cab

Offline rot gut

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 07:33:11 am »
A friend of mine bought an Emperor 4x15 a while back and I talked to him about the heads Emperor had started making.  I'm not sure if they ever went on to make them or are still making them, but he said something about it being like a Model T.  I can't remember exactly what he said, but I know he said something about Model T and Emperor in the same sentence.  Maybe try to look up a review of the head(if they ever actually produced them to a market) on Google or something.

If they did start making heads then they must've stopped because I haven't heard anything, unless you're talking about verellen who offer a model t clone.

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 01:34:30 pm »
They may have stopped, but I am positive it was Emperor because my friend played it when he went and got his cab and also because  I was kind of surprised to be reading their updated site saying they were starting to make heads. Kind of like I was surprised when I found out they make drum shells.

Offline John Matrix

• Art Things
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 02:40:46 pm »
I think saw a pic on line of a Sunn Model T that was inside an Emperor cabinet. I'm pretty sure it was an original Sunn, just wearing an Emperor suit.
http://archradish.blogspot.com

Beta Lead 212, Concert Lead into a 412L, Schecter Tempest Classic

Offline John Matrix

• Art Things
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 02:43:04 pm »
found a vid of it.
looks like a fender one though, my baaaad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3qSRuuYl8I&feature=related
http://archradish.blogspot.com

Beta Lead 212, Concert Lead into a 412L, Schecter Tempest Classic

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 12:38:34 am »
No, that is what you are saying it is, but I remember clearly the convoseration we had.

Offline D(o)))(((o)M

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 03:20:20 pm »
contact verellen amps they will build you a model t clone with metal grills, 0-10 silver knobs, same circuit, huge transformers, and most of all excellent customer service.... the 70's model t clone is about 1700-1900$ shipped as I was recently quoted... heres their website:

http://www.verellenamplifiers.com/products.html

they are very nice and informative I think might even be interested doing in a 2000s circuit clone.. regardless i have heardx nothing but good thngs about these dudes ... I'm gonna have them build me a clone later this summer...

Offline sundhy

• http://c.sundholm@comcast.net
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 04:34:34 pm »
I just completed a complete mechanical and electrical analysis of the Model T output transformer.  If anyone out there has a picture of the 1st generation Model T output tranny with the back removed it would be appreciated.  After analyzing the  Model T Super, I can see why most people like the 1st generation Model T.

Conrad
Great tone my passion.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 06:03:52 pm »
Conrad,

The 2nd gen I own has an OT built by Western Transformer. It has a shell on the inside with two exit holes for the wires. Both 1st gens I have access to have transformers with manufacturers code 1502-xxxx that have no shell on the inside of the amp. All the transformers have the part number 28-1717 and appear to have cores roughly 4.400 x 5.256 x 1.766 . The WTC unit has a slightly higher stack of 1.792 . PM me if you need more info.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 06:56:04 pm by loudthud »