Author Topic: 200S-a-like amp project  (Read 8536 times)

Offline Soundmasterg

Re: 200S-a-like amp project
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 01:52:55 am »
Johnny,

I made myself a box that has a 5 amp variac in it, along with a voltage meter and a current meter so I can measure what is happening, and the variac and a light bulb are in series with the amp under test if plugged into one plug, or just the variac if the amp is plugged into the other plug. I use a 100 watt incadescant light bulb for it and it works very well. The light bulb limits how much current the amp can draw, and really only lights up initially when the amp is turned on (since there will be a current surge from the caps charging up) or if there is a problem with the amp under test. If there is a problem, then the bulb runs much brighter than it should and it also limits how much current can be drawn so you have time to shut the amp off before a fuse would blow as compared to normal conditions. I use it any time I work on an amp.

Greg

Offline arskas

• Aurinnko)))
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 06:45:29 am »
Hi all. I just thought I'd write a bit on some of my old threads. Both speaker cabs and one amp are in good use still. I've had a few blackouts with the amp because of bad contacts and soldering faults. And I think parts layout could have been much more clever. The amp cabinet dropped all of its tolex. My fault. I used glue direct on wood and it never stuck on really good. When I built the speakers I used some clear coating spray on wood and glue on top of that. I Didn't do that with the amp cab.  Silly Me. :-D

Offline arskas

• Aurinnko)))
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 04:36:41 am »
Here's another status update of life with a sunn clone amp.

After two and a half years of use (hours?...don't know) one of my electro harmonix kt88 failed. It doesn't heat up. Only a tiny orange glow is visible in the tube guts. A nice blue arc sparkles inside the tube when I lift standby. There may have been some kind of power surge that caused the breakup. Or maybe the tubes got cold startup once too often. I'll fit some JJ's in and continue..

Offline slavestate

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 06:11:41 pm »
Beautiful work, I looked through your link in your signature with your 200s build. Very cool stuff!

Offline arskas

• Aurinnko)))
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 12:23:59 am »
I really needed a short scale gibson to complete my bass rig.