Author Topic: Silver Grillcloth Types..How Many??  (Read 2111 times)

Offline jon

Silver Grillcloth Types..How Many??
« on: June 21, 2001, 08:42:00 am »
OK...can anyone clarify the different types, exact dates of the various silverish SUNN grillcloths?? From what (I think) I know...
1) there's the original '65 Smiley Sunn amp grillcloths
2) there are the sort of hex-shaped small/tight silverish/blueish type from around '66/67 thru late 68/early 69??  like on my 200S rigs
3) there is the rectangular silver Fenderish BUT WITH A THIN BLUE STRIPE thru each rectangle during 69...or at least on my 2000S.
4) there is the rectangular all-silver Fenderish grillcloth from around 70 until the blackface started (when..72 or so??)

...which makes it a royal pain in the ass to match heads and cabs unless you luck out and find them paired, original and correct.

Does anyone have the EXACT dates of introduction/manufacture/discontinue on these?? Are there any other ones besides the oddball ones with the big stripe.

Offline mike

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2001, 03:48:00 pm »
Yeah, I think you got it...I posted questions about this topic a long time ago, and pretty much figured out the same things.  As far as matching stuff, good luck; it's alot like the tweed to blonde to brown to black tolex changes of Fender amps in the late 50's/early 60's.  Check the link to Rich Briere's website(at the bottom of the main page here); when you get there click on "Sunn part 2"---it's a reprint of a history of Sunn amps featured in Vintage Guitar magazine a couple of years back.  You'll find more info there. The grille cloth with the stripe is from the short-lived late 60's Orion solid state series.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2001, 01:26:00 pm »
Okay, the types have been identified. Are any of them available, anywhere? For myself, I'm most interested in the "hex-shaped small/tight silverish/blueish type from around '66/67 thru late 68/early 69" to match my Sentura II and 200S.
Isaac