Author Topic: Pic Post of famous players playing Sunn amps  (Read 80632 times)

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
Re: Pic Post of famous players playing Sunn amps
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2009, 12:23:39 pm »
really I'm just complaining because the amp prices have gone up so much because of the band name.. I am into the drone and all about huge rigs but man.. if they'd just picked a different name (or stuck with mars)... I am lame and poor and it was hard enough when obscure Sunns were only a few hundred bucks; I don't know how I'll manage if Model Ts start going for Dumble or blackface Fender prices.. but, for now there are still gems out there switching hands for great deals, so it's no reason to fret. Sorry guys! I didn't mean to rant or bring the hate - I take it back..

I don't blame you for that, but they certainly didn't set out to rejuvenate an interest in Sunn gear. There is some good to it, as people who shell out on the amps, expecting something they're not going to get(high-gain M/B-style amplification, for example), will drop them soon enough.  The Model T may never depreciate in value, but when I can still snag a Solarus in mint condition for $300 Canadian, there's still justice in the world. :)

In the meantime, I'm going to start a band called YBA-1A MKII, or Traynor; we'll do an Acoustic/Traynor split 5"!
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline Paul of the Bastards

« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2009, 10:14:45 am »
I don't blame you for that, but they certainly didn't set out to rejuvenate an interest in Sunn gear. There is some good to it, as people who shell out on the amps, expecting something they're not going to get(high-gain M/B-style amplification, for example), will drop them soon enough.  The Model T may never depreciate in value, but when I can still snag a Solarus in mint condition for $300 Canadian, there's still justice in the world. :)

In the meantime, I'm going to start a band called YBA-1A MKII, or Traynor; we'll do an Acoustic/Traynor split 5"!

It's true. I've managed to find the 610L, Beta Bass + 1x15 (not the combo, just in the same purchase), Concert Lead, and Concert Controller PA all for $100 each, so I really can't complain. My A212 was $400 at the time, and my beta 4x12 was only $200 but was gift anyway.

btw, is your Solarus the piggyback version or the kind that's attached to the cab?

also, yes we must certainly do that split but it would have to be with Earth Sound Research as I do not actually own any CCC gear.
'72 Concert Lead
'75 Concert Controller
'75 A212
'79 Beta Bass
'79 402
'79 105
'79 6x10L

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2009, 11:01:37 am »
btw, is your Solarus the piggyback version or the kind that's attached to the cab?
Both of the Solarus' I have are just the head. I tried to get the 'combo' a while back, but the person was asking for more than I thought it would be worth, so I decided against the purchase.

The split will be awesome. I'm going to record the sound of the amp turned on. The track will run the entirety of my side of the 5", and it'll be called '60hz.' CAN'T WAIT!!!! :)
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T

Offline tinnitus

« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2010, 04:27:50 pm »
yes, it is pronounced "sun".  that's why i can't understand why anyone would type the o)))'s.   they are silent.

in my never ending quest for sunn gear, i was in a  music shop in state college, pa. asking if the guy had any sunn gear.  the guy said "nope.  but i wish i did.  the prices of those things have gone through the roof ever since that band sun-oh has come on the scene".  i chuckled and walked away.  then i went in to another shop and bought a sun-oh concert lead and 4x12L cabinet.

and joe, yes, i think the band SUNN is extremely over rated and can't understand the hype about them at all.  i let my step son-oh plug in all my sunn gear, tune down, close his eyes, and play guitar with his feet.  i record it and sell the recordings on ebay as sunno))) bootlegged live shows.

eh, maybe i'm just jealous because i didn't think to do what they do first.

Right 0))). WHen I registered on this site to post comments, They asked what brand of musical gear the site is about. I answered sunn0))). bzzt- WRONG 0)))! I'm so stupid, almost failed the written test, good thing they offered another chance to guess again. This site is about Sunn Musical equipment, not sunn0))) musical equipment. The 0))) is silent in print as well, it is only pronounced on the badges

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2010, 06:35:44 pm »
yes, it is pronounced "sun".  that's why i can't understand why anyone would type the o)))'s.   they are silent.

in my never ending quest for sunn gear, i was in a  music shop in state college, pa. asking if the guy had any sunn gear.  the guy said "nope.  but i wish i did.  the prices of those things have gone through the roof ever since that band sun-oh has come on the scene".  i chuckled and walked away.  then i went in to another shop and bought a sun-oh concert lead and 4x12L cabinet.

and joe, yes, i think the band SUNN is extremely over rated and can't understand the hype about them at all.  i let my step son-oh plug in all my sunn gear, tune down, close his eyes, and play guitar with his feet.  i record it and sell the recordings on ebay as sunno))) bootlegged live shows.

eh, maybe i'm just jealous because i didn't think to do what they do first.

Right 0))). WHen I registered on this site to post comments, They asked what brand of musical gear the site is about. I answered sunn0))). bzzt- WRONG 0)))! I'm so stupid, almost failed the written test, good thing they offered another chance to guess again. This site is about Sunn Musical equipment, not sunn0))) musical equipment. The 0))) is silent in print as well, it is only pronounced on the badges

It's not so much that they are silent, I believe they are actually a picture of the sun with sound waves radiating from it, not letters at all.
So I suppose the correct pronunciation would be "Sunn; picture of the sun with sound waves radiating from it".

Online D.M.N.

« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2010, 12:18:50 pm »
I was just watching an old video of Deep Purple on the Playboy After Dark show, and guess what I happen to see behind bassist Nick Simper? A Sunn Orion series amp and cab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiXcqxms3Bs

Most prominent just as they start laying around 1:34, but you can see it a couple times. 1:53, 2:17, 3:02, 3:49, etc.
House of the Rising Sunn........
-----------------------------------
1969 2000s
1972 2000s
1970 1200s
1968 1000s
1969 200s
2010 2000s DIY 2x15
1971 2000s 2x15
1969 2000s 2x15
1972 2000s 2x15
1968 1000s 2x15
1970 1200s 6x12

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2010, 01:02:34 pm »
I was just watching an old video of Deep Purple on the Playboy After Dark show, and guess what I happen to see behind bassist Nick Simper? A Sunn Orion series amp and cab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiXcqxms3Bs

Most prominent just as they start laying around 1:34, but you can see it a couple times. 1:53, 2:17, 3:02, 3:49, etc.

Wow, so somebody actually did use an Orion!  :roll:
Cool clip! I remember 1968, but I forgot all about those "boy bouffant" hairdos.
It looks like they are wearing helmets.  :lol:

Offline bigobassman

• "You can't have too much bass."
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2010, 08:18:45 pm »
Ah yes - 1968 - I was a sophomore at Ashley High School playing bass in a very good band named The Spidells.  That band didn't play Deep Purple.  More Rhythm & Blues since we had a 3 piece horn section.  Great memories.  :-D

A good many of these were around  :mrgreen:  ('fros)
"You can't have too much bass."

Online D.M.N.

« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2010, 01:17:22 pm »
Yeah, it seems like the Orions just disappeared from the face of the planet after the early 70s. This is the only band I've ever seen using them. I've only ever seen the adds for them, and even those are pretty uncommon.
House of the Rising Sunn........
-----------------------------------
1969 2000s
1972 2000s
1970 1200s
1968 1000s
1969 200s
2010 2000s DIY 2x15
1971 2000s 2x15
1969 2000s 2x15
1972 2000s 2x15
1968 1000s 2x15
1970 1200s 6x12

Offline +Leo+

« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2010, 02:32:31 pm »
Annihilation Time, great punk/hard rock band from California used Sunn all the time. Model T, Beta Lead, Beta Bass and others...
Unfortunately they broke up last year. My friend booked them 2 shows here in Belgrade, Serbia, and they were amazing both times.

Here's some cool video. Around 2:00 you can see some close shots of I think Concert Lead, Beta Bass and a couple of Sunn cabs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul6ctytYaWE

Offline doomedfuzz

« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2010, 09:50:11 am »
Coil cords - I use them! Vox makes some really solid ones these days in funky colors.

I played my Sunn Enforcer last night at pactice running it through an Orange PPC412 - brought the doom like a sunn of a biotch. Volume was good, but as much as I thought it would be dimed though, my Orange and Marshall are both louder. But it was not lacking (we play stupid loud so it was fine, in fact we are starting to turn it down so we can hear the singer through the PA and we even drown out the drummer sometimes lol), kept up with a dimed Matamp GTO120, really from 5 to 10 it didn't get me much more volume, my Beta Lead is the same way, gets really loud fast then tapers off. Tones: dark, doomy, vintage, heavy and growly. I blended both channels (like I do on my Beta Lead) for ultimate tones. It is the best sounding amp I have for the doom stuff we do. We started out as a doom band and still play a bunch of that stuff but we are slowly moving more into the stoner rock side of things, our new song for instance sounds like a Clutch song and we have several that are Kyuss influenced.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:05:38 am by EdBass »

Offline madaradio

« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2010, 11:14:54 pm »
Randy Holden from his solo album Population II.  The man liked his Orions

Offline Llwyt

• My band : Asphalt Risin'
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2010, 09:07:36 pm »
Akimbo again :

Sunn Coliseum bass, Sunn T50C, etc.  8-)

Boris :

Model T's.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:16:14 pm by Llwyt »
My band (stoner rock from France) : http://asphaltrisin.bandcamp.com

Fender PB Classic '50 / Sunn Mustang Bass
Sunn Beta Bass Head  / Sunn Concert Bass / Sunn 215RH / GK 215 / 212T Home-Made
MXR DynaComp / Tech21 Double Drive / Dunlop 105Q / MXR M-18

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2010, 08:00:19 am »
Akimbo again :

Sunn Coliseum bass, Sunn T50C, etc.  8-)

I believe Akimbo now plays through Verellen amps, as well. http://www.verellenamplifiers.com/

Looks to be a modern-day version of what Sunn was, though Brian Verellen does a lot of custom work.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T