Author Topic: Museum contributions  (Read 22869 times)

Offline Watson

• House Kustoms Guitars and Amps
Museum contributions
« on: October 31, 2011, 06:55:56 pm »
Hi, another newbie question. Is there a procedure for uploading/staging museum pictures for review and subsequent publication?

I searched on "museum" and see where the question has been asked several times but I really didn't see a clear answer.

I have a few pictures of an Enforcer Head and an Enforcer 4x12 A cabinet as well as schematics of the Enforcer Head and its footswitch. Also will have pictures of a restored set of 410SR cabinets soon. I don't see either of these in the museum currently so I was going to contribute them.

Thanks!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Museum contributions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:34:25 pm »
I'm pretty sure the museum is more like a mausoleum at this point. There haven't been any additions in many years, and no one knows how to add pictures.
Some of the previous posts you found explain the situation, but to summarize for all intent and purposes the museum just isn't accepting contributions anymore.
I think it's a shame personally, but that's the way it is...

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 12:17:24 am »
Here's the solution: send me the Enforcer and the cabinet, and I'll see to it that pictures get into the Museum.

Eventually...
Isaac

Offline madaradio

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 11:47:10 am »
i can add a picture of an enforcer combo as well

Offline Watson

• House Kustoms Guitars and Amps
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 02:27:53 pm »
Isaac, I've got them all crated and ready to go I'll just put on some stamps...oh crap I don't have enough, I guess I'll have to send them another time... :evil:

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 08:46:21 am »
why not just start a new museum where users can add/edit info, and transfer the existing info to that?  Sure it takes some work, and might not be linked from the main site, but it'd still be nice to have a wealth of info in one place and it seems there are folks here who are motivated enough to do it.  Again I'll use the Acoustic model index as an example - this is a wiki and can be edited (although it's currently set to only be edited by those who have been granted permission)

http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki/bin/view/Acoustic/SolidStateInstrumentAmplifiersPart1

i've relied heavily on that page for my Acoustic knowledge, and I've wished many times that this Sunn site had something even remotely comparable.  we should capture and centralize as much knowledge as we can while the original creators, manufacturers and distributors are still around to answer our questions - not to mention all the repeat forum posts that would be avoided by having this info readily available.

When life gives you lemons, buy amplifiers.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 10:04:18 am »
I think that's a good idea. We could post a sticky with the link right below the catalog thread and I could lock it so we wouldn't have to worry about bone head posts cluttering it up.
So, how do you make this happen?

By the way, when I tried to open that acoustic link my antivirus lit up like a Christmas tree. I'm not computer savvy enough to know what that means...

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 03:04:54 pm »
I'm going to see if I can get something off the ground, and then give interested/knowledgeable parties access to add and edit info.  I won't be able to personally populate all the info but if I can get a template going I think we'll be in good shape.

As for the anti-virus stuff, I have no idea.  I've been using that site for years and never had any kind of problem.  Ever.

Offline dheizer

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 06:08:35 pm »
I have been thinking about a Wiki Sunn information site where all can contribute to the content.  There is so much information within this site but not always easy to find even with search.

I haven't done much but think about it but was considering setting up on the line of areas for Guitar amps / Bass amps / P.A. / Accessories / Catalogs.

For each model:
- Description
- Variations (ex: cabinet 115S/M/V)
- When produced
- Specifications
- Pictures
- Accessories
- Manuals
- Schematic / Revisions
- Common Issues / Fixes

For catalogs:
- Scanned PDFs of the catalogs
- Price sheets.

Some random thoughts.  I just haven't had time to do anything with it.

Offline madaradio

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 07:57:51 pm »
I have been thinking about a Wiki Sunn information site where all can contribute to the content.  There is so much information within this site but not always easy to find even with search.

I haven't done much but think about it but was considering setting up on the line of areas for Guitar amps / Bass amps / P.A. / Accessories / Catalogs.

For each model:
- Description
- Variations (ex: cabinet 115S/M/V)
- When produced
- Specifications
- Pictures
- Accessories
- Manuals
- Schematic / Revisions
- Common Issues / Fixes

For catalogs:
- Scanned PDFs of the catalogs
- Price sheets.

Some random thoughts.  I just haven't had time to do anything with it.

great idea!  just need to get it off the ground and of course, people to contribute (which is always the challenge)

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 09:02:23 am »
I've been playing with a wiki site and I think the idea of a new museum is a realistic possibility.  I have a rough template for a homepage grid which shows the following info:

Model - Notes - Type - Year(s) - Power - Dimensions

I find that this info is most often sought by the casual user, and could be obtained at first look, or compared to other amps on the list without clicking around.  Notes would be for things like silver face, red knob, whatever might distinguish it from other variations of the same thing.  but i still envision each variation having it's own line item in the grid, since photos and specs may vary.  Type would be for tube head, solid state head, 2x15 cab, etc.

Then as we fill out the site, each model name on the main grid would be a hyperlink.  Click on it to go to the page for that item, which would contain full specs, photos, description of front/rear panels, anything really.  This would be the place to also add repair notes, schematics, catalog photos. 

The main grid could be separated into sections - such as notable eras in Sunn history, item type (head, cab, PA, etc), or whatever we decide. 

Besides categorization issues, I also suspect that the available documentation on Sunn gear (catalogs, manuals, etc) seems to be far less than what's available on the Acoustic site, and the number of Sunn products and variations seem to be more plentiful.  So... who in this community has the information, or can get it?  Generally specs pulled from catalogs or supported by catalog or manual data are best, but I have a feeling that's going to be a pipe dream with most Sunn stuff.  So where does the information lie?  Who has the catalog archives, the schematics, the first hand experience?

And whoever has that info - do they want to upload it to the site themselves, or pass it on to someone else?

My vision is a site where every cab page has detailed info on original speaker types and power handling.  Every head page has freq response of each knob, and info on each cab that it may have originally been intended to be sold with (or cab recommendations).  A site where the Sunn Buzz and PL-20 frolic together in overdrive bliss.  OK, you get the idea.  It may be a pipe dream, but I think we can get a good start towards this.  In addition, incorporating pages for a catalog and schematic archive like the current site has would be easy, as well as resources for repair/restoration.  Keeping all this info centralized and editable by multiple people will allow the museum archives to grow.

I'm thinking a small group of the top Sunn Forum minds being involved, and the following being the steps involved:

-discussing (via email or chat) and agreeing upon layout, categorization and functionality
-granting edit access and explaining how to use the wiki edit tools to maintain site consistency
-assigning equipment for each member to be responsible for adding, based on their experience, specialty, interest or available info
-once the core of the site is built, unveil to the world and then slowly add/edit new things as time allows.

So who's interested in working with me to actually build this? 

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 02:15:30 pm »
I've been playing with a wiki site and I think the idea of a new museum is a realistic possibility.  I have a rough template for a homepage grid which shows the following info:

Model - Notes - Type - Year(s) - Power - Dimensions

I find that this info is most often sought by the casual user, and could be obtained at first look, or compared to other amps on the list without clicking around.  Notes would be for things like silver face, red knob, whatever might distinguish it from other variations of the same thing.  but i still envision each variation having it's own line item in the grid, since photos and specs may vary.  Type would be for tube head, solid state head, 2x15 cab, etc.

Then as we fill out the site, each model name on the main grid would be a hyperlink.  Click on it to go to the page for that item, which would contain full specs, photos, description of front/rear panels, anything really.  This would be the place to also add repair notes, schematics, catalog photos. 

The main grid could be separated into sections - such as notable eras in Sunn history, item type (head, cab, PA, etc), or whatever we decide. 

Sounds good so far. Up until about 1971 the rigs were the amps, one or two cabinets was the only option, so that would be relatively easy.
I would think designating by eras, broken down by year would be the most logical type grid. Wouldn’t that layout pretty much segregate things like “silver face, red knob, whatever might distinguish it from other variations of the same thing”?

Besides categorization issues, I also suspect that the available documentation on Sunn gear (catalogs, manuals, etc) seems to be far less than what's available on the Acoustic site, and the number of Sunn products and variations seem to be more plentiful.  So... who in this community has the information, or can get it?  Generally specs pulled from catalogs or supported by catalog or manual data are best, but I have a feeling that's going to be a pipe dream with most Sunn stuff.  So where does the information lie?  Who has the catalog archives, the schematics, the first hand experience?

And whoever has that info - do they want to upload it to the site themselves, or pass it on to someone else?

As you allude to, some documentation just doesn’t exist, and it’s probably less of a scenario of people contributing than it is the documentation being available.
I suspect Loudthud’s catalog thread is just about the sum total of actual documentation around here. Maybe some more stuff around, and hopefully there is a treasure trove of Sunn literature somewhere, but I wouldn’t be holding my breath.

My vision is a site where every cab page has detailed info on original speaker types and power handling.  Every head page has freq response of each knob, and info on each cab that it may have originally been intended to be sold with (or cab recommendations).  A site where the Sunn Buzz and PL-20 frolic together in overdrive bliss.  OK, you get the idea.  It may be a pipe dream, but I think we can get a good start towards this.  In addition, incorporating pages for a catalog and schematic archive like the current site has would be easy, as well as resources for repair/restoration.  Keeping all this info centralized and editable by multiple people will allow the museum archives to grow.

I'm thinking a small group of the top Sunn Forum minds being involved, and the following being the steps involved:

-discussing (via email or chat) and agreeing upon layout, categorization and functionality
-granting edit access and explaining how to use the wiki edit tools to maintain site consistency
-assigning equipment for each member to be responsible for adding, based on their experience, specialty, interest or available info
-once the core of the site is built, unveil to the world and then slowly add/edit new things as time allows.

So who's interested in working with me to actually build this? 

I think the key would be to limit the information to hard data. Any speculation as far as recommended uses outside of the parameters established by the actual OEM specs/applications would be subjective to the contributor’s individual tastes and predilection as far as genres, tonal preference, etc.
IMO this current forum is the place for speculation, we could use this proposed new resource as a reference point for new thread/additions to existing threads about peoples personal experiences and recommendations - Hard OEM data (what there is of it anyway!)

The current catalog thread has the basic information; it would be great if that info was instead a PDF of the catalog itself rather than simply the base information, and was supplemented with a picture of two of the actual piece and maybe the schematic.
Think about it like this; if the current catalog link had EVERY catalog instead of just 1968 and 1979, and the schematic link had EVERY schematic, the museum has EVERY piece represented, and so on.

Again, as I see it, this resource would NOT be the place for speculation, more of a reference guide that could be added to as new OEM info becomes available; the “bottom line” as far as the factual information available for the gear we all love.

I’ll help however I can towards a project such as that, however my aim would be towards a supplemental resource rather than a potentially competing website, be it intentional or unintentional…

Offline dheizer

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 01:12:35 pm »
I am willing to help however I can. 

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 09:23:03 am »
Ditto. I have several catalogs and handouts, could have PDFs made.
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880