Author Topic: 1200S for a bass rig  (Read 27281 times)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: 1200S for a bass rig
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 07:40:01 pm »
heehee. the whole concept of a 21" speaker is kinda nuts, isn't it?
Why? I mean, 18" isn't nuts, so why would 21" be? As far as I'm concerned, it's all in the execution.

Oh, and EV used to make a 30" driver!

Electro-Voice 30W

Bass response is in direct correlation to cone area and excursion. At the LA NAMM show in '77 or '78 Cerwin Vega had a quad amped system set up with 36" woofers in huge scoop enclosures on the bottom. the centers were fixed and spidered to the magnets so there was no transient highs eminating from the dustcones. I think they were x'ed at 60hz or so. The 1812 overature cannons literally knocked the air from your diaphram. Also at that show, Cetec Gauss had one of their 12" drivers sitting on a table, wired with 14 gauge zip cord and plugged into a 117v wall socket all day. It was meant as an example of their durability. It got the point across!

rick.heil

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 07:57:59 pm »
a wall socket?....wow.  That's pretty hard core.  Heh.  I want one of those setups! (As you can tell, I like plenty of bass in a setup).

rick.heil

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2006, 08:27:40 pm »
Here's something for me...this is when I get the money, the friends to help, and the VERY understanding wife....

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm

Offline rp

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2006, 08:54:58 pm »
Anyone think that 2000S on e-bay is too expensive? It's at 500 right now and I really want it. :-D It's really clean too.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2006, 09:38:17 pm »
Anyone think that 2000S on e-bay is too expensive? It's at 500 right now and I really want it. :-D It's really clean too.

You know, of course, that you have essentially the same amp with your 1200S? That said, I'll bet it goes for closer to $1000 than $500, I'll say $750-$825.
Now that I've shot my mouth off, let's see how close I am!
Anybody else want to take a guess?

rick.heil

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2006, 07:05:26 am »
I'm gonna go crazy and say $1200...

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2006, 01:25:22 pm »
a wall socket?....wow.  That's pretty hard core.  Heh.  I want one of those setups! (As you can tell, I like plenty of bass in a setup).
It's not necessarily as impressive as you might think. Consider that the driver might well have been designed for that demonstration. How? Give it a 60Hz resonant frequency.  With a high Q, the impedance at resonance might be over 100, but lets call it 60 ohms. Power being equal to voltage squared divided by impedance, we get 120^2/60=240 watts. Pretty good, but not amazingly so. And, with a 60Hz resonance frequiency, it's not going to make a particularly great bass speaker, either.
Isaac

rick.heil

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2006, 02:34:47 pm »
no, I was coveting one of the electro voice 30Ws....

but now that you say that, you're right - I guess the common instinct they were playing on (that I had) is that wall current would blow up any speaker no matter how good.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2006, 05:01:48 pm »
Good luck with the 30W. I gather that they're as rare as hen's teeth.
Isaac

Offline rp

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2006, 05:56:20 pm »
Well, after alot of thinking I'm not going to use it as a bass amp...I think I'm going to use it as a guitar cab for now.
In fact I was thinking of having a custom cab built at 16 ohms....couple of g12h greenbacks and a couple of eminence swamp things.
Question is....do I get it at 16 ohm mono or stereo?

I bet mono.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2006, 06:07:09 pm »
It's not necessarily as impressive as you might think. Consider that the driver might well have been designed for that demonstration. How? Give it a 60Hz resonant frequency.  With a high Q, the impedance at resonance might be over 100, but lets call it 60 ohms. Power being equal to voltage squared divided by impedance, we get 120^2/60=240 watts. Pretty good, but not amazingly so. And, with a 60Hz resonance frequiency, it's not going to make a particularly great bass speaker, either.

I agree with you Isaac, it was a stock 4282, but technically not as impressive as it would first seem. From a marketing aspect however, I thought the effect was genius. I'll bet you would admit that you would stop and look! It sounded like a distant helicopter, very cool. Of course, not as great a marketing tool as I give it credit for, considering the ultimate fate of Cetec a few years after that show!

rick.heil

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2006, 06:33:59 pm »
Well, after alot of thinking I'm not going to use it as a bass amp...I think I'm going to use it as a guitar cab for now.
In fact I was thinking of having a custom cab built at 16 ohms....couple of g12h greenbacks and a couple of eminence swamp things.

I bet mono.

You're right, mono would probably better.

Offline rp

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2006, 06:39:45 pm »

I bet mono.

You're right, mono would probably better.
I guessed that.... being in 68 I think everything was mono. I should still rock hard as hell...
those heavy magnet greenbacks for that sabbathy creamy tone...and the swamp things for high wattage handling
and rumbling low-end....maybe some celestion neodymium centuries would be better than
greenbacks for de-tune, but everyone raves over those g12h's.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2006, 09:52:10 pm »

I bet mono.
Stereo? What are you talking about now?
Isaac