Author Topic: Need Sunn 215B Internal Volume dimensions!!  (Read 2770 times)

Offline knw

Need Sunn 215B Internal Volume dimensions!!
« on: January 20, 2009, 01:19:41 pm »
Hi guys I'm new to these forums!!!

I own a lot of SUNN gear but my new addition is a Sunn 215B which I'm getting tomorrow unloaded.

I'm trying to figure out what modern brand new driver would work out the best in this cab.

I'v been searching for couple days now and someone directed me to try these forums.

So does anyone know what are the volume or internal dimensions of the cab?

Also what are the port dimensions ?

I'm gonna be using it for Bass of course I tune in drop C and I play from doom end of the world sounding stuff to fast over driven DB.

I already use a Sonaro Head with a 200S 2x15 cab...I'm gonna be powering the Sunn 215b cab with a Sunn 71 Concer bass head or Traynor Mono Block II.

All I care about is playing really loud  with the sweet SUNN turned up to 10 tone...haha...my current setup is 2 amps and 2x15 + 8x10 (svt ampeg) but I wanna go 2 x 2x15...10" are not heavy enough.

I love lots of Low end and Mids...and lots of definition when playing fast and loud.

I was looking to load a pair of eminence kappalite 3015's

The cab out-side dimensions are:

41" high
15" deep
24" wide

I want this cab to growl at high volumes!!

I'm open to other speaker selections I got around 300 bucks budget for speakers.

Thanks!!

LONG LIVE SUNN!!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Need Sunn 215B Internal Volume dimensions!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 09:04:15 pm »
I'm gonna be using it for Bass of course I tune in drop C and I play from doom end of the world sounding stuff to fast over driven DB...

All I care about is playing really loud  with the sweet SUNN turned up to 10 tone...haha...my current setup is 2 amps and 2x15 + 8x10 (svt ampeg) but I wanna go 2 x 2x15...10" are not heavy enough...

I love lots of Low end and Mids...and lots of definition when playing fast and loud...

I want this cab to growl at high volume!

Regretfully, I don't think any driver on this planet has the type of versatility you're looking for. If you do happen to find such an animal, be sure to let us know! :wink:

I love lots of Low end and Mids...and lots of definition when playing fast and loud.

Eminence makes very nice stuff, but I think you'll have to compromise between the "All I care about is playing really loud/lots of Low end and Mids/lots of definition" idea. Your cab has good bottom end, I would maybe try a Delta or Kappa Pro 15A. I don't have any experience with their neodymium drivers, but like I said, Eminence makes very nice stuff.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about the total volume or port dimensions, that cab was designed before T/S parameters existed, and to reverse engineer that cab into the "perfect" driver would take some pretty sophisticated software. I don't think a basic program like WinISD could do much good with those horn loaded ports. The cab is a tried and true design, I would just be looking for drivers that will handle the power, fit your budget, have decent sensitivity, and have a frequency response curve that will cover the range you decide on.

Offline knw

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:32:01 pm »
 :-D

Well I'm pretty sure I'm going to be ordering Eminence Kappalite 3015's in the next 2 weeks.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't disappointed with the out come.  :|

My current 2x15 does everything I need it to do but it's loaded with JBL D140s

I'm gonna be kickin a 4x15" bass setup + 2 amps.

So I just wanted to try some new drivers that I can order brand new for a change =].

I'm curious to see how they would sounds with all my vintage SUNN gears  :-D.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:22:20 am »
I would think that you could come much closer to your "does it all” requirements if you kept the 810 cab with a 215. The 810 SVT is a great cab for definition, fairly articulate depending on which generation you have, but  response curve drops like it fell off a table under 100hz. With the right drivers your 215 will move some serious air underneath, the combo should be pretty versatile, allowing you to thump away and still get some high end definition.
Why on earth would you want so much stage volume? What arenas are you playing?

Offline knw

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 02:28:28 pm »
I have to compete with 2 full stacks with 2 100 watt heads and a loud drummer.

Only using 1 amp didn't do it for me it wasn't loud enough.

I power my 2x15 sunn cab with a 50 watt Sonaro head.

It doesn't cut trough the mix...it's not loud enough.

The 8x10 I ran trough a sunn concert bass head I would bottom the speakers on it.

It sounded solid but it wasn't awesome (to me anyways).

When I played my concert bass head trough a smaller 2x15 cab + my sonaro/2x15cab it was way better and heavier.

So to me, 15's sound much better then 10's except 1 time when I borrowed a 8x10 and that sounded deeper then any 8x10 I'v tried.

I like how older 8x10's sound but I'v played trough maybe 15 or 20 8x10's and I'v only liked 2.

Anyways we don't play in huge venues in fact we play very small ones and most of the times we don't even mic our cabs.

But we play mind numbing loud...I'm still not done with my setup...I would like to add another amp and another cab.

I know it sounds like it would be over the top...but the dynamics I get from running multiple amps it's unexplainable.

The only down side is moving all this gear around...it's a bitch  :x...but worth it  :-D.

www.myspace.com/titanslays

we got a vid on the site check it out...you'll have a good laugh  :lol:.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 02:42:35 pm »
that blackout vid is cool.
how did you get jackblack to join yer band?
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline knw

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 04:34:09 pm »
how did you get jackblack to join yer band?

HAHAHA  :-D

Offline cromag

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 05:59:44 pm »
two 2x15s sound fantastic.  one of my favorite bass players and bass tones is by dixie dave from weedeater.  he plays solid state sunn stuff (either a concert bass and slave or concert lead and slave usually) pushing two mesa 2x15 cabs.  not sure what they are loaded with.  in small clubs his tone and volume RULE!.  i always wear earplugs when i see a band no matter what.  so the 4x15s allow me to not only hear his bass but FEEL it as well.