Author Topic: JJ multi cap  (Read 2752 times)

Offline doc10039

JJ multi cap
« on: October 12, 2010, 03:47:08 pm »
Could you use two of these to get a rating of 1000 vdc?

Offline doc10039

Re: JJ multi cap
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 09:20:46 am »
Nevermind answered my own question. Thanks

Offline Soundmasterg

Re: JJ multi cap
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 06:01:56 pm »
When you have two caps in a can, you can hook them up in parallel, but not in series, since there is a shared ground terminal. Parallel connection gives you the same voltage rating, and double the uf rating. So for a 50uf/50uf @ 500v, you could have a 100uf 500v cap. The best way to use a can cap if you must use one is in parallel....this way you can control where your ground connection on the cap grounds with the rest of the circuit. It is cheaper and better to use individual caps, and if you have a good way to hook them up, radial caps are the cheapest and best made these days. Axial caps will be fine for you however....F & T make excellent caps, and AES sells Xicons which are just fine too. They also sell Illinois which I don't like myself due to problems with them in the past. The Illinois are their generic 500v caps, and the Xicons are their 350v and 450v generic caps. When I hook up series connected caps, I use two 350v caps in series, with a 200k resistor paralleling each cap. Then I select a uf value for twice what I would like, since when connected in series, a cap will be double it's voltage rating, but half it's uf value. The resistors are needed to make sure one cap does not try to hog all of the voltage.

Greg