Author Topic: Crate blue voodoo and mercury magnetics  (Read 5083 times)

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
Crate blue voodoo and mercury magnetics
« on: October 03, 2010, 12:23:23 am »
I have a 2007 model Crate blue voodoo 120HB head looking to mod her out with mercury magnetics power and output trannys and choke, was curious to know if anyone has done the same or have any opinon on mercury magnetics trannys and chokes?
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Crate blue voodoo and mercury magnetics
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 12:55:45 am »
Mercury makes good stuff. Good expensive stuff.
If it's broken, I'm pretty sure you could buy another Crate Blue Voodoo for a lot less money than a Mercury retrofit would cost.

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 02:03:20 am »
not really i get a 30% discount with mercury thru a friend,
 and i'm sure you as well as other members here have certain attachment to some of your amp heads as i do to my blue voodoo.
i was just going to send the head to voodooamps in new york for a deluxe mod but that mod is $594 and they only replace my output tranny and redo tone stack and gain
 i didnt want to do that since i like my current tone stack and gain(apparently i got a good head) but for $413(with my buds discount) i can get power and output tranny and choke with the output being a upgrade with 4,8,and 16 ohm taps.
not trying to sound angry or mad (wife told me my reply sounds like i'm mad) but for the money to mod i thought it wasnt half bad .

i've heard good things about mercury just wanted to kinda get everyone else's experince or opinon with them.

thanx for the reply edbass, arent you the same guy who talking about doing a sunn amps clone based on a 200s i belive?
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 07:27:18 am »
   Hi there,I've had great success with several of Mercury's tranny's,they are at the top of the pile for price,but also for quality.If you plan on keeping and/or playing this amp,I'd put the tranny's in,just my opinion,that's all.Good luck,Mel.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 10:53:10 pm »
not really i get a 30% discount with mercury thru a friend,
 and i'm sure you as well as other members here have certain attachment to some of your amp heads as i do to my blue voodoo.

I certainly understand that! I’ve got a storage room full of sentimental gear.

i was just going to send the head to voodooamps in new york for a deluxe mod but that mod is $594 and they only replace my output tranny and redo tone stack and gain
 i didnt want to do that since i like my current tone stack and gain(apparently i got a good head) but for $413(with my buds discount) i can get power and output tranny and choke with the output being a upgrade with 4,8,and 16 ohm taps.
not trying to sound angry or mad (wife told me my reply sounds like i'm mad) but for the money to mod i thought it wasnt half bad .

I think I misunderstood; You said “mod her out” but I read it as you had a busted amp rather than looking for an upgrade.

i've heard good things about mercury just wanted to kinda get everyone else's experince or opinon with them.

I’ve got the same opinion as Mel.  Although I’ve only used a couple of Mercury products personally, I do know some high end builders that use them as OEM in their amps and never had a bad experience, or for that matter I’ve never even heard anything bad about Mercury quality.
They are pricey, but have an excellent reputation and IMO you get what you pay for.

thanx for the reply edbass, arent you the same guy who talking about doing a sunn amps clone based on a 200s i belive?

Yeah, that’s me. This isn’t the forum to get into my project, but I expect to be gigging a production ready prototype this year.

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 11:27:05 pm »
very cool edbass!
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 08:30:07 am »
Great news, EdBass! Keep us posted.
Sunn since June 1971!