Author Topic: New Old Stock Amps and Cabs  (Read 8375 times)

Offline jdfarrell81

Re: New Old Stock Amps and Cabs
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 07:22:40 am »
Am I the only one who finds appealing and very charming a second hand (or third or fourth…) amplifier with all the history that carries???

I agree to an extent. I've been rehabbing and restoring Sunn amps over the past few years, and it's definitely neat to see a dirty, neglected amp come back to life. On the downside, it's usually an expensive process. More and more, I'm realizing that most folks don't really understand how to use their amps without damaging them, and, because Sunn amps fell out of favor for several decades, they weren't generally preserved very well. A lot of these amps that have passed through many hands need serious TLC, so there's definitely something appealing about a NOS vintage Sunn amp that's never been touched.

Still, I agree with you. Old gear is always alluring, and I'm always excited when someone on the forum gets an amp that has major history (e.g. - getting Wino's Model T or the red Model T owned by Brian from Darsombra).

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 08:16:04 am »
I agree as well.  I've never owned a brand new amp - never - and I find the history and battle scars alluring.  Sometimes the more thrashed the better, because it's so cool to have superior tone coming from an abused relic.  Plus, I take my gear on the road, and although I'm careful it does get knocked around a bit.  I'd never spend $5k on an amp that'll never leave the practice space - I want others to hear it!  Of course, if I had unlimited means, I'd be all over a NOS 2000s.  But an extra $1500 just to pretend it's xmas morning 40 years ago and be the lucky sap to open those boxes?  Well, I don't know about that...$1500 could buy a lot of previously owned amps. 

What we're looking at here is museum-grade amps, which belong with a certain kind of collector.  There are guys who spend big bucks restoring old amps to mint condition, and if the final product outweighs the thrill of the project itself, why not drop your money on these and have something really rare - factory fresh perfection.
When life gives you lemons, buy amplifiers.

Offline Happy Face

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 08:58:57 pm »
Am I the only one who finds appealing and very charming a second hand (or third or fourth…) amplifier with all the history that carries???

I agree to an extent. I've been rehabbing and restoring Sunn amps over the past few years, and it's definitely neat to see a dirty, neglected amp come back to life. On the downside, it's usually an expensive process. More and more, I'm realizing that most folks don't really understand how to use their amps without damaging them.

Or it was given to your band and you sorta didn't care all that much.

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 03:48:03 pm »
still there...
thought y'all might enjoy a glimpse of the box artwork

Offline cosmic erosion

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 05:13:33 pm »
That's an awesome pic. Did that rickenbacker transonic cab have the head too?

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 11:31:56 am »
sadly, no.  but this shop has quite a selection of vintage amps and cabs.   they have another 2000s cab that's nos with cover, but no box, and another big sunn cab (sorry, couldn't tell the speaker config and my knowledge of sunn is not yet encyclopedic, it was about the same height but narrower?)... but that cab also appeared to be nos and had the original TOLEX information tag on the handle!  that was VERY cool to read. 

Offline cosmic erosion

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 06:32:20 pm »
That's so awesome. Love to see them in person.

Offline N2000s

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 11:22:16 pm »
Yeah the other 2000s cab had already been sold many months back :-) Just need to find a way to get it back to Brooklyn. The other nos cab that they have I believe is a 4x15.