Author Topic: 412 S cab questions  (Read 1982 times)

Offline 421_S

412 S cab questions
« on: December 24, 2009, 12:03:37 pm »
I bought a Sunn 412 S cab around 1990. The metal tag on the back says 4ohms, 240 rms. It came with 2 of the original speakers (I assume), Sunn 1216g Tranducer. I would post a pic but my camera stinks. Anyway, it has wheels on one side and rubber feet on one side. Here's the questions:

1) Any way to figure out what year it was made?

2) Are the 1216g speakers of any value, monetary or sound wise?

3) If I replace the speakers, what would be a good replacement? I am looking at Celestion Vintage 30's and Eminence Patriot Texas Heat at the moment (I play heavy rock).

4) What is the actual monetary value of the cab? It's in very good condition, considering how long it's been around. Except some dumb kid spray painted the last bands logo off of it (ok, the dumb kid was me in 1990).

5) Are the wheels/rubber feet configuration on the corner how they came stock?

I am looking forward to hearing from the experts on this site. Thanks in advance.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: 412 S cab questions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:08:13 am »
There might be a date inside the cabinet; there often is. Other than that, no way I know of to date it more accurately than by the years it was in the catalogs.

If you want to sell them, someone will buy them. Sound is, as always, a personal decision.

I have no idea what would work best for you. I'm a bass player, anyway.

The actual monetary value of anything is determined by agreement between the buyer and seller. Anything else is just a guess. You could try looking on ebay to see if such a transaction has taken place recently, and what the price paid was.

Originally, the wheels were on the side of the cabinet, the rubber feet on the bottom. That way, you could wheel it into position, then tip it onto its feet for use. Looked a little goofy, with the wheels sticking out the side, but it was really very practical.
Isaac

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 12:26:46 pm »
For Heavy Metal both your suggested speakers would be great.

Like Isaac said, it's worth what someone will pay for it. Ask too much...and it won't sell. Do some research on Ebay, Craiglist and other auction sites to see what is selling and for how much. At least then you have a ball park

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 09:36:18 am »
A mix of two Vintage 30's with two G12H30 would probably sound great.  I have one of each in my Solarus 2X12 and they seem to compliment one another perfectly  IMO.  No experience with the Eminence speakers.

Offline 421_S

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:55:14 pm »
Thank you for the replies. Vintage 30's I think it is. Have a lead on the original owner, will post more info if I get a hold of him.