Author Topic: Big muff a Bass muff?  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Sunnson

Big muff a Bass muff?
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:57:23 pm »
hey guys i have a US big muff pie reissue; im not digging the over all sound of it (my russian sounds better). anyway i recently did a treble bleed mod removing capacitors 2 5 and 8. Im not liking that either. Now i made up my mind im going to solder in higher value caps to increase bass response.
what are your thoughts?
cheers,

Ryan
looking for first sunn, please help!

Offline foxfire

Re: Big muff a Bass muff?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:53:23 pm »
I'm don't have the muff circuit committed to memory, but I can't think of any caps in the circuit that when removed would bleed off treble? Where were these caps in the circuit? If you're talking about the 3 caps in the feedback loops of Q1-3 then removing them should allow higher frequencies back into the circuit causing it to have more hiss... 

Offline Sunnson

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 07:47:15 pm »
I keep forgetting that i did this "mod" around 3 in the morning do to insomnia. I think im just going to replace the removed components. thanks for the help though, it was a nice learning experience.
looking for first sunn, please help!

Offline foxfire

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 08:16:19 pm »
you can put them back in or try slightly larger value to remove a bit more "fizz"...also like you said you can try larger value caps on the in/output caps.