Author Topic: What do YOU use?  (Read 2444 times)

Offline nightterrors

What do YOU use?
« on: February 01, 2012, 01:20:11 pm »
to hook up more than one head and cab together? ABY? I'm starting to get into using more than one head at a time... I just wanted some pointers. If I got a cab with only one speaker jack in the back... how do I run 2 heads into it? ABYing? but I bet I'd have to watch the ohms/watts too. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
1996 Lefty Fender MIJ Jaguar Modded
1996 Lefty Fender MIJ Mustang (SOLD)
1998 Green Matamp Legend 140
1971 Sunn 1200s (SOLD)
1978 Sunn Beta Lead (SOLD)
1976 Ampeg V4 with matching 4x10 (SOLD)
199? Sunn Reissue 2x15 cab (SOLD)

Offline Walt-Dogg

Re: What do YOU use?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 01:50:17 pm »
If I got a cab with only one speaker jack in the back... how do I run 2 heads into it?
You don't. You'll need to rewire the cab stereo or get a second cab. As for running two heads an NS-2 or ABY/ABC box will work just fine. Get a nice one though and use the right power supplies for you pedals or it can get noisy quick.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:51:16 am »
It is possible to safely run the preamp from one amp into the power section of a second amp, and then into one cab (assuming SS heads).  To do this, you'd use an instrument cable to connect the respective preamp out from amp 1 and power amp in for amp 2.  Then just run a standard speaker cable from amp 2 to the cab.  This is good for something like a beta bass, where the tone is killer but the power just isn't enough.

But if you're talking about switching from amp 1 to amp 2, or even using both simultaneously, to get the tone of both amps through the same cab... I'd retire that idea straight away.  Damage will most likely ensue.  Just get yourself a second cab.  With two separate rigs, you can either daisy chain them (assuming vintage SS heads, run an instrument cable from the 2nd input jack of amp 1 to the input jack of amp 2) OR if you want to be able to do some switching, use an ABY between your instrument and the heads.  (i recommend the big shot aby for it's noise control features).

When life gives you lemons, buy amplifiers.

Offline jaywalker

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:53:29 am »
Here's a device that will run two heads/one cab (one head at a time). Two models; one for SS heads , one for Tube heads. Radial Headbone
http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm
max 100w heads. not a load box. It switches the unused head to idle (no input signal) and utilises a load resistor. Read the manual and the Q&A. Setup is critical. For the protection of the output transformer the manual states that delays and other devices that continue to supply a signal for amplification by the output section must NOT be placed in an effects loop within the head(s), but can be placed before the switcher.
No, I have not used one.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:50:37 am by jaywalker »

Offline nightterrors

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 02:09:21 pm »
Here's a device that will run two heads/one cab (one head at a time). Two models; one for SS heads , one for Tube heads. Radial Headbone
http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm
max 100w heads. not a load box. It switches the unused head to idle (no input signal) and utilises a load resistor. Read the manual and the Q&A. Setup is critical. For the protection of the output transformer the manual states that delays and other devices that continue to supply a signal for amplification by the output section must NOT be placed in an effects loop within the head(s), but can be placed before the switcher.
No, I have not used one.

this is cool! thanks man.
1996 Lefty Fender MIJ Jaguar Modded
1996 Lefty Fender MIJ Mustang (SOLD)
1998 Green Matamp Legend 140
1971 Sunn 1200s (SOLD)
1978 Sunn Beta Lead (SOLD)
1976 Ampeg V4 with matching 4x10 (SOLD)
199? Sunn Reissue 2x15 cab (SOLD)