Author Topic: Beta Lead 410 Combo - Again  (Read 5027 times)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Beta Lead 410 Combo - Again
« on: January 24, 2011, 12:42:05 pm »
I'm giving this its own thread; I'll be getting it back this week and flat don't have any more room. I've been trying to capitalize on the repressed market by scooping up gear I think is a bargain, and well, it’s sort of gotten out of control.

Seriously out of control.

This is a picture I just took of my office; the only gear that's supposed to be in there is the split chassis 40 watt and the 115 cab, the rest just flat has nowhere else to go.

How about this stylishly chic power amp rack/gig duffle end table in the den?

Add that to my shop; there are two more rows like this one that you can’t make out behind, I literally have to move things like a Rubik’s Cube to actually work in there. Thank God for casters.

AND, I also have a "guest" bedroom that any "guest" would have to sleep in standing up because it's packed like a freekin' moving van with gear, mostly basses. I don’t have the heart to go upstairs and take a pic of that, besides, I don’t want to accidentally remind my wife that I’ve also appropriated that room also.
She left the real estate classifieds of our local Sunday paper opened to the commercial properties section at my place on the breakfast table this morning; just a little “hint”.

I freely admit to being a Capitalist, and my initial plan was to hold until the market rebounded, but I think I probably need to start weeding out the less collectable gear, and IMO the Beta Lead is one in that column.

So anyway…

Well it's been a week since sballatt and BearHerit have traded emails, and it seemes all is well... So, this is coming up (again).

I ended up loaning the amp to a buddy of mine last summer for his kid to learn on, I don't actually have it back yet but I'm pretty sure it's in the same shape, he wouldn't let it leave his basement. A few more hours on the amp since the original ad went up, and I haven't researched the current sale prices since last spring, but I think they've been pretty strong lately.

I've tried to detail any possible flaws, so no "surprises"!

I'm putting up my late 70's or early 80's Sunn Beta Lead 100 watt 4X10 Combo here on the Sunn site before it goes to eBay. Fully functional, all the original knobs, all the red inserts in place, with a factory footswitch.

I’m a tube guy AND a bass player; I got it in trade in a multi piece deal 3 yrs ago and will never use it. It’s been at a buddy’s studio but didn’t get used there either, so it needs to go!

Less than 3 hrs. (a very generous estimate) playing time since (3/25/06) gone through by my tech and brought to "as new" spec., a couple of new matched transistors, some caps replaced.

Four original 10" Sunn AlNiCo speakers, very solid original cones with one issue; the right side speaker cones were creased/dented, probably by the footswitch during transport. There is no penetration through the cones, so I straightened them out and reinforced the areas with latex sealer. Shouldn't affect the integrity of the cones, since as I said, NO actual penetration, and the very low mass of the latex should have little or no effect on the tone. (see pics)

There is also a piezo tweeter placed dead center in the baffle, but I'm not very familiar with solid state gear and I can't explain why it's there. I think it's a factory tweeter; I'm just not sure why they needed it.
The tolex is in excellent condition for its age, with one noticeable flaw, a 1/2" ding down to the wood (see pic). Besides this, other than a few minor scuffs, a couple of cracks in the handle, the cabinet is in great condition, very clean.

As I said, I wanted to give the TRUE Sunn-o-philes a shot at it first, but I think I can get close to $500 on the bay, one without a footswitch recently sold for $475, and a craigslister just got $500 for his.

I’ll sell it for $450 plus actual shipping costs.

I’ll also entertain trade offers, but I’m pretty picky and as I said very “tube” oriented. Any questions or offers please PM.

I’ll check it out and post if it’s developed any issues, but I think its fine. Let me know via PM if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your time!

Offline ROCKETBRO2

Re: Beta Lead 410 Combo - Again
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 04:27:42 pm »
Ed, your dilemma is is not funny until you look at the photos. We all love gear until you can't move around the house.
73 CONCERT BASS,215 ORION

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:26:30 am »
Ed, your dilemma is is not funny until you look at the photos. We all love gear until you can't move around the house.

While I do indeed think it’s kind of funny, my better half fails to see the humor. I don't really have the option of filling the house with gear, as we entertain regularly.
Truthfully though, the only rooms in the house that are really compromised are my office; which is actually an addition off of our kitchen, and only inconveniences me, and a guest bedroom. Luckily we have another larger guest bedroom, and the "bass guitar room" doesn't have a bathroom so it was rarely used anyway.
Of course there is the power amp rack/gigbag that lives in the den when not in use, and this;

restored and all original 70’s Ampeg B15N Portaflex, pictured in the dining room but floats around the main floor of the house on its handy cart. I love my Sunns, but the B15 usually gets the call for recording. It records like a dream and sits in the mix unlike anything else, which probably explains why the list of iconic and hit songs recorded with a “flip top” would fill a novel.
And why almost every top notch studio has one hanging around.

But all that aside, there is another thing that could really kink things up.
I have an 8000 watt PA system that is currently out working in an E Series van, and usually is, but could obviously come home to roost at any time. Power amp racks, mixer, miles of cable, mics, stands, big ass JBL monitors and mains, etc. that would need shelter somewhere

So… I need to get off my duff and sell off some stuff or buy a storage facility, and selling is the first choice. I’ll list the Sunn stuff that I can bear to part with here first.

Although I must confess that last year I sold a two cab 2000S rig and didn’t list it, but it was a dude who had been after it for years and finally raised his offer to where I couldn’t say “no” anymore.
It wasn’t a planned thing, and for the most part my 2000S and 200S rigs will probably get auctioned by my widow when I have no more use for them.
Unless of course, someone else gets stupid with an offer… :wink:

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 10:24:33 am »
I completely understand your wifely situation, Ed, as that's why I had to get rid of all my Kustom gear (except for the small 115 JBL combo).  :-)
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 11:28:56 am »
I completely understand your wifely situation, Ed, as that's why I had to get rid of all my Kustom gear (except for the small 115 JBL combo).  :-)

Yep, it just takes a little compromise. As long as my toys don't intrude on "her" domain, all is cool; but I sense that the level I'm at is pushing those boundaries pretty hard.
I suppose I should count my blessings; she's actually fond of the go-fast in the garage with the German accent, although I'm sure I'd hear about it if I decided to park one in the living room.
But, I would imagine you can empathize with that also, Carter!  :wink:

Offline thanksjoebacca

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 02:47:18 pm »
Thread is over five years old. Cool beta lead 4x10 though! I'm looking to buy one. You wouldn't still happen to have it, five years on? Long shot, I know, hah...

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 05:30:33 pm »
Nope, she's long gone!