Author Topic: coliseum 300 questions.....again....  (Read 1670 times)

Offline thepathunderfoot

coliseum 300 questions.....again....
« on: February 03, 2007, 03:36:37 pm »
Yes, I did look through the search mode for this answer.......

I found a coliseum 300 w/ matching sunn 2x15 for 450$. I currently have a sunn 4x10 that was made with in the last 7 yrs. But, it runs 350 @ 8ohm

.....can the coliseum handle it? Or am I going to freeze cones again......

Offline Johann

Re: coliseum 300 questions.....again....
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 04:19:00 pm »
I'm not sure what the Coliseum 300's peak wattage is but I think as long as you aren't running everything on 10 or if you have both cabinets hooked up then the 4x10 will definitely be able to handle it

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 08:22:40 pm »
Yes, I did look through the search mode for this answer.......

I found a coliseum 300 w/ matching sunn 2x15 for 450$. I currently have a sunn 4x10 that was made with in the last 7 yrs. But, it runs 350 @ 8ohm

.....can the coliseum handle it? Or am I going to freeze cones again......
The Coliseum 300 is rated at 300 watts with a 2 ohm load. If you just ran the 8 ohm 4X10, the Coliseum should only put out 120 watts, well under the cabinet's rated 350 watts.
If you ran both cabinets in parallel, and the 2X15 is also an 8ohm cabinet, the Coliseum should put out 200 watts, if the 2X15 is a 4 ohm cabinet the Coliseum should put out 220-230 watts.
You should be safe. It wouldn't freeze cones (how did you do that?), the only bad news for speakers should be if you clipped the amp hard.

Offline thepathunderfoot

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 09:36:39 pm »
Thank you for your responses!

frozen cone.
 first off that was my personal, ignorant, diagnosis. second it was when I was running a 4ohm 4x10(working man) and the sunn 300-350 8ohm 4x10 (under)powered by a half ass gk...maxed.  I just know that one of the 10's does not work since that lovely little experience.

The basis of my question revolves around myself trying to get feedback if I.....

SHOULD I BUY THIS RIG.....(asking price is 450 for the cab and head).... if I'm playing in a very loud group(guitar player is playing through......3....4x12's and 2 Laney Heads one 100 and one 50 watt) And right now I'm playing though his bass rig, which is a 3?? something acoustic head a 2x15 and a 8x10. From where I come from it is a literal wall of sound....

What does a poor bassist do? Maybe I should sell my six string and buy a svt 2 pro.

thanks in advance.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 11:36:37 am »

frozen cone.
 first off that was my personal, ignorant, diagnosis. second it was when I was running a 4ohm 4x10(working man) and the sunn 300-350 8ohm 4x10 (under)powered by a half ass gk...maxed.  I just know that one of the 10's does not work since that lovely little experience.
Sounds like that poor little GK clipped and knocked out one of the 10's. I guess definitions vary, but when I hear "frozen cone" I think welded voice coil. That takes a whole bunch of power. I've only seen that a few times, and I'm pretty old!
The basis of my question revolves around myself trying to get feedback if I.....

SHOULD I BUY THIS RIG.....(asking price is 450 for the cab and head).... if I'm playing in a very loud group(guitar player is playing through......3....4x12's and 2 Laney Heads one 100 and one 50 watt) And right now I'm playing though his bass rig, which is a 3?? something acoustic head a 2x15 and a 8x10. From where I come from it is a literal wall of sound....
I assume the guitarist is using Laney tube amps, and running them hard? If so, it could be difficult for you to run with him using the Coliseum. You need to out power him, bass won't hang watt for watt with guitar on stage, and tube amps give him a distinct advantage in perceived volume.
What does a poor bassist do? Maybe I should sell my six string and buy a svt 2 pro.
If you mean "poor bassist" in the economic sense, your options are limited. Loud costs money, especially for bass. If the old Acoustic amp you are using is a model 371, you already have as much or more power than the Coliseum. If you get the Coliseum, you should find a way to get a 2 ohm load on it to use all of the power. I would think that a couple of efficient 4 ohm 2X15’s would be your best shot. Most modern, high powered speaker cabs are not as efficient as older lower powered ones. Since the 80’s or so, bass amps have continually grown very powerful compared to the “olden days”. In the 70’s, a 300 bass watt amp was a monster. Now, it’s hard to find a bass amp under 300 watts, and 500-600 watts isn’t uncommon. Speakers have had to get more durable as a result.  Generally speaking, in order for a speaker to handle mega power, it usually has a very stiff suspension and it takes more power to move the cone. 
Maybe look for a Sunn/Fender 1200S, they seem to be a good deal for the power (1200 watts @ 2 ohms) and should satisfy any power mad needs you should have.
Better still, invest in a PA system. The days of 115 db stage volume is (thankfully) about over. Most pro bands use amps on stage for monitors, if at all. I have first hand knowledge of a highly respected guitarist who has an endorsement deal with an amp manufacturer. He has 3 full stacks; 6 4X12 cabs and 3 100 watt heads behind him on stage. In the first 10 rows he can blow your head off with power chords, sterilize small animals with upper register leads, and has a fantastic tone. On stage, the band members can carry on a conversation while he's doing it.
In reality the 3 stacks are a thin plywood shell over a lightweight framework, one roadie can pick up all three stacks at once and move them on or off stage. The only thing electrical in the whole rig are the pilot lights on the heads. His guitar(s) run to an unendorsed vintage 2X12 combo amp in a road case with a microphone backstage. This type of thing is pretty common in the pro touring band world.
In the world of local bands, having a good PA can make you a very popular person, and do wonders for keeping you in demand as a band member!