Author Topic: Rebuilding 67 Sentura II  (Read 5622 times)

Offline HRobert

Rebuilding 67 Sentura II
« on: September 04, 2009, 06:39:46 pm »
Here's a couple of pics showing my 67 Sentura II before cleaning and regrilling and afterwards.  I hope to have pics of the custom built clone Sunn 230-B cabs that I've bult posted within a week or two.

Rob

Offline HRobert

Re: Rebuilding 67 Sentura II
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 06:41:47 pm »
Her's a pic of the amp box and old dirty grill cloth with holes.  The facia board looks like someone had tried tomount some sort of effects box on the inside and drove the screws through the grill cloth.

Rob

Offline HRobert

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 06:48:08 pm »
Here's a couple of pics showing my 67 Sentura II before cleaning and regrilling and afterwards.  I hope to have pics of the custom built clone Sunn 230-B cabs that I've bult posted within a week or two.

Rob
The old facia board and grill cloth was removed and a new board cut.  I used a black/white/silver Fender style grill cloth with the pattern running the same direction as the 68 and later Sunn's.   A good cleaning and treatment of the vinyl brought back the luster. A new heavy duty handle was added as the old one had very rusty end caps,and larger rubber feet were also added to replace the worn plastic originals.  I repleced all of the old steel chassis mounting bolts, as well as the screws holding the tube protector with stainless steel.

More pictures as they develope.....no pun intended.

Rob

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 07:46:41 am »
What grill cloth is that?

Offline HRobert

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 08:22:29 am »
What grill cloth is that?

Ed,

I bought the grill cloth from Mojo Musical Supply. It's their Fender style black/white/silver and is reasonably priced. It has a bluish tinge in the picture, but that's due to the flash on the digital camera. It's not as heavy as the original, but it is sturdy and quite easy to work with. I bought it from them as their bolts run 36" wide and the rectangular pattern runs the length of the fabric, not across the width of the bolt like the cloth from some suppliers. If you have a cab, like the taller Sunn cabs ( 100S, 200S, etc. ) that need more than a yard of cloth for the length of the grill, this works great as you can maintain the original verticle pattern.

I also have a Fender Rhodes Suitcase piano with the speaker bottom.  The pattern of the cloth on the speaker runs horizontally - like on their Fender Amps.  The grill cloth on the piano speaker cab is 43" wide - plus what is needed for the wrap around, so this cloth will work perfectly.  

I also bought the pebble grained vinyl that I'm using on my clone Sunn 230-B speaker cabs from Mojo.  It's really good quality, and again, reasonably priced. I'm going to be recovering my Rhodes and the pebble grained vinyl is almost a dead match.

Rob
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 10:26:10 am by HRobert »

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 02:34:57 pm »
Just an FYI to all those restoring or building Sunn clones. Steve M. at Angela Instruments carries reissue Sunn vinyl (I think this was used on the Fender-made Sunn gear). His website is www.angela.com or see his Ebay store listings.

Ryan

Offline HRobert

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 03:12:05 pm »
Just an FYI to all those restoring or building Sunn clones. Steve M. at Angela Instruments carries reissue Sunn vinyl (I think this was used on the Fender-made Sunn gear). His website is www.angela.com or see his Ebay store listings.

Ryan

Ryan,

The vinyl that is offered by Angela's Instruments is not the original "rough" vinyl that was used on the 60's Sunn amps.  I believe everyone has looked, including Conrad, and that vinyl is no longer available. 

I went with Mojo because they would supply  54"wide pebble grained vinyl in any length that I needed.  To do my clone Sunn 230-B cabs ( 36" x 24" x 11.75" ) I needed a piece that was 10'-4" long or 124 inches so I could wrap the cabs with one piece, and have the extra 4" for an overlap to cut one seam on the bottom.  The longest piece of vinyl that Angela's would supply is 72" - which means that I would have to use two pieces - each one for a 36" side and one 24" side, or 4 pieces - one for each side. I also emailed Angela's and asked if they could provide the vinylin the length that I needed. They didn't even have the courtesy to reply...so I took my business elsewhere.

I hope to be able to do some work on the cabs this weekend and havethem completed within a couple of weeks.  I will then post pics of the cabs.

Here is a pic of the cabs after applying the vinyl.

Offline HRobert

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 08:09:51 am »
More pics of the cabs are now in this forum under one of the Sentura II posts.

Rob