Author Topic: Sunn Sorado Speaker Replacement Help  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Zulubilly

Sunn Sorado Speaker Replacement Help
« on: December 12, 2008, 02:00:54 pm »
I have a Sunn Sorado 215 speaker cabinet with Sunn Guitar Transducers in it and I have a pair of JBL K-140 speakers that I am going to put in.  I took the Sunn Transducers out today and was putting the K-140  speakers in and the mounting posts are too short.  The JBL speakers rim is 2 times thicker or maybe more.  Is there any kind of extension I can use or do I have to take the grill off and the grill cloth and take the posts out and replace.  This could be a major undertaking, although I know the end result will be wonderful.  I hope there is an easier solution than that.  There are only four posts to each speaker and each post is pointed not flat on the end.  Are these posts just pushed through a hole or are they mounted into T nuts or washers or what.  Does anyone know what thread size these posts are. 
The SUNN is always rising somewhere

Offline Ryan Phelps

Re: Sunn Sorado Speaker Replacement Help
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 09:04:31 am »
Zulubilly,
The existing mounting bolts are likely conventional speaker mounting bolts with a flat head that sits flush with the face of the baffle. The easiest solution would be to find an internally threaded coupling to connect the existing bolt to a new bolt you would screw in after putting the speaker in place. The trick is finding a threaded coupling that will fit through the holes in the speaker frame; there may not be adequate room for a coupling. To confirm the existing bolt threading, take one of the nuts to a hardware store and match it to a bolt that fits.

Your other option is the one you mentioned.

A third option would be to cut off the existing bolts flush with the inside face of the baffle. Drill holes for t-nuts from inside the cabinet (protect the grill cloth with a piece of scrap lumber). Reach between the baffle and grill cloth and push in the t-nuts. To seat the t-nuts, drill a hole in a piece of scrap lumber (about the thickness of the speaker rim) and screw in a new bolt through the scrap and into the t-nut and cinch it up. Then you can mount the new speakers. Of course you destroy some of the originality of the cabinet doing this.

Good Luck!

Ryan

Offline Zulubilly

Re: Sunn Sorado Speaker Replacement Help
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 09:27:49 am »
Thanks, sounds right.  I thought about tapping the bolts out from the inside and taking to a hardware store and getting new ones of the same size just longer.   I didn't know if the original bolts were just put into the hole in the baffle or if they had some sort of teeth on them like T-bolts that kept the bolt from turning when you tightened it down.  I haven't seen any bolts like that.  Do you know the size of the bolt.  Not hard to find like you said all I have to do is take a nut to Ace.

Thanks for the info.

Zulu
The SUNN is always rising somewhere