Author Topic: 215 Beta Bass Combo  (Read 5654 times)

Offline EarthRumbles

215 Beta Bass Combo
« on: June 12, 2010, 05:48:40 pm »
Ok so I saw an ad a while back on cl for a 215 beta bass combo amp, unfortunately the head wasnt there and they were replaced speakers. Does anyone have one of these that they would part with with the head/cab. It seems all the beta bass stuff I see is gutted from combos. Any info?
Reissue Model T
Sunn 412L
Sunn Beta Lead 410 Combo
Sunn 610L
Pair of Sunn Model 2
Pair of Sunn AX12
Sunn SPL-2216
Sunn SPL-412

Offline EarthRumbles

Re: 215 Beta Bass Combo
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 05:05:03 pm »
Ive been trying to research the validity of the beta 215 combo. I cant find it in the Sunn catalog but I have found a few random forum posts where people claim to have one. I have yet to see pics though. Can anyone at least tell me if these were ever actually made?
Reissue Model T
Sunn 412L
Sunn Beta Lead 410 Combo
Sunn 610L
Pair of Sunn Model 2
Pair of Sunn AX12
Sunn SPL-2216
Sunn SPL-412

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 05:53:12 pm »
Wow, I've never heard/seen a 215 Beta combo.

Page six of the 1979 catalog describes the "Beta Series Self-Contained Amps." There was a 115, a 212 and a 410. Each could be ordered with a complete amplfiier or just a power amp.

The 115 was rated at 100W, 4 ohm, two channels, and could operate with a foot switch ("Beta Switch II"). But get this: It weighed 79 pounds! (Yikes! I hate to think what a a 215 combo might weigh.)  Dimensions 31 x 24.75 x 13.

The same page describes the Beta series amps and the available cabinets: 115, 115 with a horn, 212, 215 and 412.

On a few occasions in Craigslist, I have noticed people describe their head-and-cabinet bass rig as a "combo" ...
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline Monsieur Lebeaux

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 06:13:23 pm »
I've seen a Beta 2x15 combo once... It was about a year and a half ago on craigslist here in Louisville.  A few months later I actually met the guy who sold it.  It's a little taller than the 1x15 combo and the 15s are offset a little. 

Offline EarthRumbles

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 08:38:35 am »
Its good to hear that someone has witnessed the beast. I am hoping to come across one eventually but its certainly a rare breed. Any other info, has anyone here actually owned or used one? What about some pictures if you have any.
Reissue Model T
Sunn 412L
Sunn Beta Lead 410 Combo
Sunn 610L
Pair of Sunn Model 2
Pair of Sunn AX12
Sunn SPL-2216
Sunn SPL-412

Offline raybone

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 08:28:03 pm »
I have one of these. I got it off a guy (CL) and it stopped working after about a month.  Removed the head and took it to the shop, it has been there for a year now. :?  It powers up, playable for about 2 minutes, then just goes to a really loud hum.  I loved it when it worked. The speakers were replaced before I got it with two 400w 15" speakers (carvin i think) and now I use the combo without the head as a cabinet for my Sonaro head.  I will take a pic when I get the head back, unless you want to see it minus the beta head.

Offline EarthRumbles

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 06:30:25 pm »
Awesome man, any picture would be great but I'ld totally prefer a pic with the head in it. Thanks a bunch
Reissue Model T
Sunn 412L
Sunn Beta Lead 410 Combo
Sunn 610L
Pair of Sunn Model 2
Pair of Sunn AX12
Sunn SPL-2216
Sunn SPL-412

Offline raybone

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 08:09:16 pm »
I will see whats up with the repairs and post a pic soon.
 :mrgreen:

Offline raybone

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 12:12:12 pm »
Five Years later.......and its fixed!!!!     I finally got around to buying a beta lead power board from eBay and threw it in.....exact match. Both channels working, all lights and knobs work, no weird pops or hum. I think its good.  I probably should take it to a GOOD tech when I find one for a thorough checkup, but for now I'm rockin it.  I forgot how ridiculous this thing is,  the drive knob(s) for the fuzz/distortion has so much power to it.  It generates some awesome feedback standing over 10 feet away from the speakers.  By barely turning the Drive knob(s),  It goes from really quiet and polite to OMG my pants are flapping.   

Think i will build a footswitch next, since I need to "witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!"

(Right-Click pic and open in New Window)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:19:21 pm by raybone »

Offline Delongpredannon

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 10:45:44 am »
I also have one. Picture looks the same. My switch is bad and needs replaced, and the speakers have sizable rips in them but still work like a dream.  A bowel loosening dream. I have many projects going and have yet to purchase the new switch.  I am not sure what speakers I want to throw in it to replace the ripped ones but I also like the idea of playing them till they die  And getting them reconed. I can't really find any info on them and they have no logo on them and the numbers (that I don't remember) returned no results when searched online. This cab was super cheaply made and I bet I could make an exact replica for less than 150 dollars.  The head is what matters obviously and it does sound like sweet magic.   I remember when I got it off cl a few years ago.  I took a bunch of bing rips and plugged my Les Paul into it and  played it for hours.   Then the switch broke a few months ago and then I turned into a full time drummer.

I like long walks on the beach and stuff. 

I found a good deal on a hilbish design preamp and wanted to compare them for myself and I have to say, I am impressed.  Sounds identical. I've been using them with my guitar cab and guitar and love it. 

He literally just started making a full amp.  I'm sure it's just as amazing as the preamp. I'd post a picture. It it looks identical to the one above