Author Topic: new Hendrix/Redding/Sunn photos in VG this month  (Read 2559 times)

Offline mike

new Hendrix/Redding/Sunn photos in VG this month
« on: May 31, 2000, 02:42:00 am »
In the current issue of Vintage Guitar magazine(I forgot the issue "month", but it's the cover focusing on the "Experience Hendrix" Museum in Seattle) there's photos and a story sent in from a reader about a Spring '68 Hendrix show that he attended. The pix, while a bit fuzzy, depicted two 200s cabs stacked next to the usual Marshall(& Sound City!) wall behind Jimi, and a six-cabinet, two head 200s (200s, not 2000s) stack behind Noel. Now, does anyone out there know how this stuff was set up? Were the two Sunn cabs on Jimi's side part of HIS set-up, or were they "bass monitors". Then, reguarding Noel, how could he run six cabs off of just two heads; were there more amps behind the cabs, or were some of the cabs "back-ups" in case speakers were blown? Most mystifyingly, if indeed Noel was using just two 60-watt amps, how could he even keep up, volume-wise, with Jimi? 200s heads are great, granted, but c'mon, my home stereo can crank out 120 watts. Everyone who reminisces about Hendrix shows goes on about how loud they were, but none of the amps appear to be miked, plus I understand that at that point P.A.'s were still crap. Any of you guys out there have any ideas? Even when N.R. moved up to 2000s amps, he seemed to be using only two heads with six cabs(referring to the photo in the post here last December). Que Pasa?!?            

Offline MarkG

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2000, 10:41:00 pm »
: In the current issue of Vintage Guitar magazine(I forgot the issue "month", but it's the cover focusing on the "Experience Hendrix" Museum in Seattle) there's photos and a story sent in from a reader about a Spring '68 Hendrix show that he attended. The pix, while a bit fuzzy, depicted two 200s cabs stacked next to the usual Marshall(& Sound City!) wall behind Jimi, and a six-cabinet, two head 200s (200s, not 2000s) stack behind Noel. Now, does anyone out there know how this stuff was set up? Were the two Sunn cabs on Jimi's side part of HIS set-up, or were they "bass monitors". Then, reguarding Noel, how could he run six cabs off of just two heads; were there more amps behind the cabs, or were some of the cabs "back-ups" in case speakers were blown? Most mystifyingly, if indeed Noel was using just two 60-watt amps, how could he even keep up, volume-wise, with Jimi? 200s heads are great, granted, but c'mon, my home stereo can crank out 120 watts. Everyone who reminisces about Hendrix shows goes on about how loud they were, but none of the amps appear to be miked, plus I understand that at that point P.A.'s were still crap. Any of you guys out there have any ideas? Even when N.R. moved up to 2000s amps, he seemed to be using only two heads with six cabs(referring to the photo in the post here last December). Que Pasa?!?            

I was fortunate to see Hendrix in Chicago a couple of times.I believe in 67 then again in 68.Both times Redding had 3 200S (not 2000s )heads and 6 cabinets.He had the second cabinet
of each set of 2 actually stacked ON TOP of the powerhead,with the castors just dangling in the air.There were no mikes on the amps,all sound except vocals came directly from the stage amps.
These shows were at the Civic Opera House and the Auditorium Theatre,both pretty small places.The sound that Redding had from those little 200S heads was incredible!! Very LOUD,Very powerfull,Just about shook the place down!
No problem keeping up with Hendrix who was also incredibly loud. I was very surprised
later on to find out those heads were only 60watts RMS. The cabinets must have been tremendously efficiant and acousticly perfect.I think they were JBLs probably the D140s. Hendrix himself
was using an array of 3 60 watt Sunn heads and 6 cabinets the 1st time I saw him but had switched back to Marshalls the 2nd time . I cant say that I had any impressions that there were any monitors set up or spares. So anyway..believe it! They were very loud.

Offline MarkG

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2000, 09:45:00 am »
: : In the current issue of Vintage Guitar magazine(I forgot the issue "month", but it's the cover focusing on the "Experience Hendrix" Museum in Seattle) there's photos and a story sent in from a reader about a Spring '68 Hendrix show that he attended. The pix, while a bit fuzzy, depicted two 200s cabs stacked next to the usual Marshall(& Sound City!) wall behind Jimi, and a six-cabinet, two head 200s (200s, not 2000s) stack behind Noel. Now, does anyone out there know how this stuff was set up? Were the two Sunn cabs on Jimi's side part of HIS set-up, or were they "bass monitors". Then, reguarding Noel, how could he run six cabs off of just two heads; were there more amps behind the cabs, or were some of the cabs "back-ups" in case speakers were blown? Most mystifyingly, if indeed Noel was using just two 60-watt amps, how could he even keep up, volume-wise, with Jimi? 200s heads are great, granted, but c'mon, my home stereo can crank out 120 watts. Everyone who reminisces about Hendrix shows goes on about how loud they were, but none of the amps appear to be miked, plus I understand that at that point P.A.'s were still crap. Any of you guys out there have any ideas? Even when N.R. moved up to 2000s amps, he seemed to be using only two heads with six cabs(referring to the photo in the post here last December). Que Pasa?!?            

: I was fortunate to see Hendrix in Chicago a couple of times.I believe in 67 then again in 68.Both times Redding had 3 200S (not 2000s )heads and 6 cabinets.He had the second cabinet
: of each set of 2 actually stacked ON TOP of the powerhead,with the castors just dangling in the air.There were no mikes on the amps,all sound except vocals came directly from the stage amps.
: These shows were at the Civic Opera House and the Auditorium Theatre,both pretty small places.The sound that Redding had from those little 200S heads was incredible!! Very LOUD,Very powerfull,Just about shook the place down!
: No problem keeping up with Hendrix who was also incredibly loud. I was very surprised
: later on to find out those heads were only 60watts RMS. The cabinets must have been tremendously efficiant and acousticly perfect.I think they were JBLs probably the D140s. Hendrix himself
: was using an array of 3 60 watt Sunn heads and 6 cabinets the 1st time I saw him but had switched back to Marshalls the 2nd time . I cant say that I had any impressions that there were any monitors set up or spares. So anyway..believe it! They were very loud.

Actually Im starting to remember a little more about those shows,I may be not remembering correctly how he stacked them.It actually might have been The Soft Machine or Mountain I saw have them stacked that way.Im now starting to remember that Redding had 4 200S speakers side by side in a row
and 2 more stacked on top horizontaly. I seem to also recall 3 sidebyside heads on top of all that.Either way,they were definitly 200S and VERY LOUD.(Its been a LONG time,the memory functions are a little degraded,sorry).

Offline Rich Briere

• http://www.richbriere.com
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2000, 06:28:00 pm »
A back issue of Guitar Player also had a good spread on the Hendrix/Redding Wall O' Sunn. I'll ring up Noel and see if he remembers.
Bass-ically Yours,
RB
MTD and Sunn...........life gets NO better than that.