Author Topic: The ugliest basses ever?  (Read 3889 times)

Offline PB Blaster

The ugliest basses ever?
« on: October 15, 2012, 12:22:38 pm »
Well, in my last post I waxed nostalgically about the demise of the EB series starting in the mid sixties, on to the end in 1978. And some of the other monstrosities Gibson made over the years... and I was thinking about another super ugly bass that I found on the net that I didn't mention because I didn't want to hurt the [maybe] one person here's feelings that had one ;-{) That thing played by the guy in the Monkees I think. Don't remember if it was a Guild or what, but it definitely left an impression on me, albeit not a good one.

And just when I thought they never got uglier, I see this on fleaBay this morning. And I ask myself; Is this the ugliest bass I've ever seen?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130784762874&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

I had to stop looking at it, because it was actually starting to grow on me, and it's been what? A couple weeks since I got the EBO... and I'm already thinking about the next one ;-{))))

After, I said I wasn't buying more amps after the SUNN (not bass anyway ;+), and I haven't, so thinking about another bass is perfectly ok?

But I digress... I started this post to get people to chime in (pics/links please) with their opinions of what the ugliest basses ever made was.

Let the fur fly!!!

Offline JonO)))

Re: The ugliest basses ever?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 01:56:42 pm »
Haha - great thread!

I don't find that Ovation unattractive, although there are certainly some ugly instruments out there. Worse still are the solid state bass amps... Why manufacturers don't put as much effort into aesthetics for bass amps as they do guitar amps in beyond me! And why do so many manufacturers of bass cabs use metal grills instead of cloth?! Ugly!

Offline PB Blaster

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:24:56 pm »
I hear ya on that one, lotsa of recent bass amps, as well as guitar, but I agree... bass amps are on the whole overwhelmingly ugly. Too techy, I guess. But then again, that's just me. I don't even like black grille cloths, hahahaha!!! I guess I'm just stuck in the past when it comes to gear ;-{)))

Offline PB Blaster

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 07:36:26 pm »
What happened, did the Zombie Apocalypse actually begin?

Just wondering what happened to the forum?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 06:07:53 am »
What happened, did the Zombie Apocalypse actually begin?

Just wondering what happened to the forum?

It just happens sometimes, this isn't a very high volume forum.

Offline PB Blaster

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 09:27:14 pm »
Thx Ed ;-{)

I was a little worried there... I still check in here everyday. Will post on my new bass tomorrow, if I get a chance to get it out of the box. Listening to the election tonight.