Author Topic: hovercraft amps dwarvenaut and andromeda  (Read 5545 times)

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
hovercraft amps dwarvenaut and andromeda
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:55:48 pm »
anyone here used or own a hovercraft dwarvenaut or Andromeda amp? was curious to know if you think these amps when set to the sunn preamp sounds anything like a sunn amp? theres youtube videos but hard to tell from videos.

Thanks in advance
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline soberskipper

• Biased to class O)))
Re: hovercraft amps dwarvenaut and andromeda
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 07:22:01 pm »
If you ever get your hands on one of these, open it up. Take the faceplate off... They are jet city amps that he tolexed over and changes a couple components. Seriously.

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
Re: hovercraft amps dwarvenaut and andromeda
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 03:05:37 am »
already knew the dwarvenauts where modded jet city amps but thanks for putting that out there, i bought one of these amps and i have to admit the dwarvenaut i bought does do matamp/orange/sunn model t tone gotta tweak the eq and depth knob but it will do dead on tone stacks of each amp listed i really like how i can turn it up and get a fuzzed out bigger than balls stoner/doom rig tone, or you can back the gain off and get some cleaner esc tones, i opened the head up to have a look at the mods they look fairly simple didnt really see any tweaks the the pcb board more or less add ons to the tone stack and of course the double depth mod has alot to do with it....................now for the bad news for what i paid for the amp my heart sunk when looking at the faceplate and back of amp chassis as all jet city was scratched off and went over with what appears to be sharpie marker as well as front of chassis in my personal opinion i would have liked to have seen paint used to cover up what was scratched off ...... other than that i was surprised to see the cheaper than dirt stock Chinese tubes still in amp would have been happier with upgraded tubes(tung-sol,jj,mullard,ect)  i have yet to see or hear a Andromeda in person so i cannot comment on that head, hope this helps anyone looking at these amp heads  keep in mind i dont regret buying the amp but for the money paid feel a little shafted. 
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213