Author Topic: New guy with probably an old question ?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Tomm Williams

New guy with probably an old question ?
« on: January 02, 2018, 02:34:13 pm »
Greetings all !

I recently acquired a nice '69 Sonaro head for a mere $400. I'd like to get a matching cab but (from what I'm seeing) Sunn wasn't exactly into portable/small cabs and I don't feel like lugging around a 2x15", 6x10" or any other box the size of a walk in closet. I have seen a 2x12" but it was from a later era so doesn't truly match. So my question(s) being: Did Sunn make smaller cabs during this period and if not, is the tolex from Angela a very close match? I happen to have a great relationship with near-by J Design Cabs who could make whatever I wish but I'd like it to look correct.

Cheers!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 04:49:09 am by EdBass »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: New guy with probably an old question ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 04:49:51 am »
The Catalog thread lists dimensions for most factory Sunn cabs;

'http://sunnforum.ampage.org/index.php/topic,4178.0.html

Never actually seem Angela tolex, but I don't think there is an exact match out there. Search "tolex" on this site and you can read the myriad discussions about tolex (and Grill cloth), it's a popular discussion with lots of helpful info.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 11:36:57 am »
I'd say that you're somewhat in luck, Tomm. The Sonaro was originally a combo amp with a single 15" JBL speaker. Later, it was split into a head/cabinet unit, still with a single 15", so a refrigerator-sized cabinet wouldn't be as authentic. On the down side, original cabinets are pretty hard to find. But if you're thinking of going custom built, that's not an issue.

I think that the original Sonaro cabinet (after they separated them) was 29x24x11.5. Later, in the early 70s, Sunn came out with the 115S, which I think was 24x24x15. The 2x12" Solarus cabinet is also 29x24x11.5, and is open back. Suitable for guitar, not so much for bass.
Isaac

Offline _peter

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 05:11:27 am »
I tried to purchase the Sunn style tolex from Angela last winter and they told me it was sold out.
Would be amazing if they have it back in stock.

Offline Tomm Williams

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:54:48 am »
I may have scored a 1-15" cab which is perfect, I'll know more later today I believe.