Author Topic: Original Model T questions.  (Read 3188 times)

Offline RacerX

Original Model T questions.
« on: May 18, 2018, 11:16:29 am »
Hello, this is my first post and I have looked around the internet and this forum and can not find the information I am looking for. I have an original Model T that I bought at an auction in 1990 and never really used it. I am guessing that it has been heavily modified, but I can not find any pictures of the circuitry of an unmodified original Model T to compare it to. Is there a place where there are some pictures posted of the insides of a Model T with or without modifications?  I also wondered if a modified amp lost value because of the modification?  Or were there some modifications by the factory or certain people that increased the value?  Sorry for the edit, but I now have another question. I was reading the sticky post about the Sunn catalog and for 1974 they list both a Model T bass and a lead amp.  What distinguishes the difference between the two?   Thank you in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:42:53 am by RacerX »

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Original Model T questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 12:38:43 pm »
There is no difference in the amp. The Model T was intended to be an "everything to everyone" amp, used for guitar, bass, even keyboards. The only differences were in the speakers.

As for your amp and its mods, can you read a schematic diagram?

Isaac

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 12:45:21 pm »
Here's the original Model T:

http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schematics/post/sunn_model_t.pdf

The second generation Model T (2G) is somewhat different, and lots of people modify a 2G to make it more like the 1G. I can't say how that affects the value.
Isaac

Offline RacerX

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 10:37:27 am »
Thanks Isaac! I will print it out and compare it to my amp.  I would assume mine is a 1G since it was made in 1974. This is a picture of my amp in case anyone is familiar with the Model T and can tell if it is stock or has been modified just by looking at it.

Offline _peter

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 04:56:40 am »
Hi,

it's a first generation and it looks stock. Why do you think it has been modified?

Best,
Peter

Offline RacerX

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 09:19:58 am »
Hi _peter, Thanks for confirming it is stock. In the 80’s I bought a kit to modify my guitar for “killer tone” from the back of a guitar magazine. It consisted of some resistors, capacitors and other things that we’re to be soldered between the pots, pick-ups and switch. When it was completed it sort of looked like the inside of this amp. It just had this homemade look with electical parts soldered in places and that is what the inside of this Model T reminded me of.

Offline _peter

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 02:36:48 am »
Don't worry, that's just the way they build amps back in the days.
I can't make out any component in the picture that has been touched.
Maybe, after all these years, the amp might need a cap job.

Peter