Author Topic: sunn beta lead questions/problems... etc:  (Read 2634 times)

Offline aaro)))n

• http://www.edgeofdoom.com
sunn beta lead questions/problems... etc:
« on: February 14, 2005, 07:37:25 pm »
-- my problem: my sunn beta lead makes "crackeling noises", noticable durring cleaner parts in songs... if i hit the damn thing on top, it sounds ok for a few seconds until i start playing again (i used to see joe preston do this when his made weird noises when he played in the band, the whip). if i move my guiutar cable from input to input or jiggle the cable, the sound changes and comes and goes...

-- question #1: does anyone know what is wrong?

-- question #2: does anyone live in seattle and fix sunn amps or know of someone in the NW who does?

-- thanx for reading, this is my first post, as i am the "new guy" :)
AarO)))n Edge

personal site: www.edgeofdoom.com
doom band: www.grievousdoom.com
label: www.wormfodder.com
print design: www.odeum.org
web design: www.gluem.com

Offline jjai

• http://www.showmestatetheband.com
crack/pop in Beta Lead
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 01:02:10 pm »
I had a similar problem with my Beta Lead

After some investigation, I found that I had an intermittent short in my speaker voice coil.  Solution was to replace the speaker.

Not sure if you have the same problem or not, but thought I'd offer it since it was not intuitive (I was sure that it was a problem in the amp circuit, turned out to be a problem with the speaker).

Next time your amp does this, disconnect your speaker and use a multimeter to see if the two terminals on your speaker are shorted (circuit is closed rather than open).

The Unofficial Sunn page has a link to a amp service place in Seattle - I called and the person was very knowledgable and helpful.

Offline aaro)))n

• http://www.edgeofdoom.com
Re: crack/pop in Beta Lead
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 03:55:36 pm »
Quote from: jjai
I had a similar problem with my Beta Lead

After some investigation, I found that I had an intermittent short in my speaker voice coil.  Solution was to replace the speaker.

Not sure if you have the same problem or not, but thought I'd offer it since it was not intuitive (I was sure that it was a problem in the amp circuit, turned out to be a problem with the speaker).

Next time your amp does this, disconnect your speaker and use a multimeter to see if the two terminals on your speaker are shorted (circuit is closed rather than open).

The Unofficial Sunn page has a link to a amp service place in Seattle - I called and the person was very knowledgable and helpful.

-- thanx for the idea!

-- i will look into the seattle service too :)
AarO)))n Edge

personal site: www.edgeofdoom.com
doom band: www.grievousdoom.com
label: www.wormfodder.com
print design: www.odeum.org
web design: www.gluem.com

Offline Don T.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 09:24:46 pm »
Hello:
 Oh heck, Just get out the magnifying glass and a strong light. Look for the broken solder joints on the caps. Or you can tap around the interior with a plastic "something" and try to duplicate the noise. Sounds like basic backyard repair stuff to me.
Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Offline Don T.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 09:26:00 pm »
Or better yet, bring it down when you come get the footswitch.
Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.