Author Topic: using the model T for a bass head  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Planet 156

using the model T for a bass head
« on: December 31, 2005, 07:51:26 pm »
i have a 70s model T amp head.  I was wandering if the model T would be worth re-tubing to use it as a my bass head.  im concerned with the power, will i be able to be heard over the guitars?  It has really good tones but When i try to crank it up it distorts.  So Im wandering if new tubes will solve the problem and if the amp will sound good for bass.

thanks

Offline Sunn_Tubeamp_Revival

Absolutely worth retubing!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 11:35:27 pm »
Your Model T should drown the guitars with earth (and window) shattering bass.  Seriously, if the amp has never been retubed and it has seen a good amount of play time, new tubes will bring it to life.  This amp puts out about 120 watts of bone crunching power when it is at peak.  I suggest retubing it all the way.  Go to eurotubes.com and purchase a quad of matched KT88s and three ECC83S (12ax7), current balanced or triode matched.  It will cost you about $175.00 for the tubes with shipping.  You are going to need to have the bias set.  As long as you are not getting any power supply hum, your power supply filter caps are probably ok.  Age and use can take their toll on filter caps.

The Model T is worth restoring at any rate. They generally go for $800 to a $1,000 on eBay.  To me, they sit at the top of the list for bass tube amps!

Regards,
Chuck
All vintages Sunn tube amps should be making sweet noise somewhere!

Offline Planet 156

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 10:39:03 am »
thanks for the reply

thats good to here.

Offline Bottomfeeder

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 09:34:33 pm »
I agree,  I have 2 Model T's.  I use them( 1 at a time) over a 4-10 cabinet or a 2-15 cab or over both cabs.  It depends on the venue.  My early one (73) has KT88 in it and my (75) has 6550's.  With the master dimed and the volume about 4 a Mdoel T can be deafening to human ears and it will drive the worns up out of your garden.

I also use flats!
Bottomfeeder

"If Your In Control--You're NOT Driving Fast Enough"   Parnelli Jones