Author Topic: extermination  (Read 16152 times)

Offline Rocketboy

extermination
« on: September 29, 2001, 03:37:00 am »
Please let's rid the world of Peavey bass amps.  Ric
Heads up, everybody!

Offline sunn

extermination
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2001, 09:04:00 pm »
agreed. though i have yet to find an alternative to their modular black widow speaker in my limited experience with speakers...

any suggestions?

Offline Rocketboy

extermination
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2001, 02:19:00 pm »
Heads up, everybody!

Offline Rocketboy

extermination
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2001, 02:33:00 pm »
Dear SUNN -
I must confess I'm not familiar with the modular aspects of the Black Widow^r drivers.  While a navy musician I just hated the way those heads and cabinets sounded (to the point I took my personal gear to the gigs, even on road trips).  Why would a LF driver be modular?  Guess I need education on this point.

As far as a decent-sounding low-cost 15, I like the Carvin PS15C.  They cost about a hundred bucks, have fun with 200W RMS, and are available in either 4- or 8-ohms.  I like the way they sound better than D140F's, but they're not as efficient.  My favorite bass speakers are the Electrovoice BX series; if I ever win the lottery I'll get some!

Guess I shouldn't be so hard on Peavey.  They occupy an important place in the market.  Who cares how good an amp sounds if you can't hear it?  I must admit the P has amplitude.  It's just that they sound like someone playing a cat with a saw.  Rocketboy
Heads up, everybody!

Offline brettpobastad

extermination
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2001, 10:24:00 pm »
Fellas
This anti-Peavey sentiment all sounds just a little elitist to me. I have a hard time believing that you could tell the difference.
Sunn SB-200 amp
G&L L-2000e bass
no effects
blues trio

Offline jubilee300

extermination
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2001, 05:16:00 pm »
Use to gig w/ a poor fella that played thru a Peavy 210 combo. He couldn't let the thing clip or it would shut down. Some clutz retail music store salesman told me that Peavy had some sort of circuit protector installed in these amps. Sounds really lame (like patching a severed appendage w/ a Bandaid). They sell like hotcakes down here in the South because they are cheap. The first wave of Peavy amplification made in the 70's was absolutely horrendous. I don't think they will ever recover from the terrible reputation they gained during this period, and that ain't no elitist crap!

Offline Rocketboy

extermination
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2002, 04:54:00 pm »
Heads up, everybody!

Offline Rocketboy

extermination
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2002, 05:03:00 pm »
Pardon my keyboard clumsiness.  I actually like the way a properly serviced Peavey Vintage or Classic 30 sounds for guitar.

I play the bass.  Peavey bass amps sound hard, cold, and ugly.  Kinda like a Thomas Organ Vox in thermal runaway.  With the compression engaged they sound bland with an annoying early solid-state edge.  Turn off the compressor and they have that terrible raw brittle scratchy transistor distortion that even the Shaggs wouldn't use.  Like a Kustom on bad acid, with a bullet wound.

It's not hard to tell the difference.
Heads up, everybody!

Offline guitarnate

extermination
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2002, 09:09:00 am »
I used a peavey bass amp as an acoustic amp for several years.  I found it an excellent amplifier.  

Offline guitarnate

extermination
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2002, 09:11:00 am »
ps, i still use an old peavey musician keyboard amp.  it is a beautiful thing.  Now then, that should be enough peavey talk on a Sunn forum.

Offline dypak

• http://dypak.rapeandhoney.com
extermination
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2002, 02:42:00 pm »
I am gonna have to agree with the anti-peavey sentiment.  I have owned several different kinds of peavey amplifiers and found them all to be "disposable".    They are a fine amp if your in a tight situation with little cash.  But as with many things, the less you spend now the more you spend later...

Offline baggman

extermination
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 04:57:17 pm »
I'm runnin' my Beta Bass through a Peavey modular 15. Sounds great! I'd like to have a Sunn Cab to match, though. I used Acoustics in te 70's and they were nice, too. Bought a Carvin head in '76 and ran it through a Cerwin-Vega B-36MF( 1x18+2x10's in a folded horn. Wish I still had that cab!). I bought it from a theatre guy that said it was used during the 1st run of the movie "Earthquake".
Betabagg