Author Topic: Sound City  (Read 1899 times)

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Sound City
« on: July 13, 2019, 02:49:27 am »
There is a movie about the legendary LA recording studio Sound City that plays about every two weeks on a TV station known as TBD. In Dallas it's over the air on 47.4 but probably available on the internet. In the very first scene a recording engineer comes into a dark studio, turns on the lights, loads a reel of two inch tape onto the deck and then steps into the studio to set up a microphone. Hard to see but he's wearing a Sunn T shirt that says something under the Sunn ((o)) logo but I can't read it. Anybody seen this or recognize the shirt ?

The Sound City studio was used by Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, and Nirvana among others. 24 track analog tape with a Neve board. The building was used to make Thomas-Vox amps in the early 60's.

Offline Ryan Phelps

Re: Sound City
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 08:00:17 am »
Yep! Dave Grohl was involved (director?). He purchased the Neve recording desk and moved it to his studio....somewhere near Seattle. The film is available on Amazon Prime.
I can't make out the Sunn shirt either due to the folds in the fabric .....something like "Monmouth Dimensions". Perhaps a band name? Sunn did use bands in their early advertisements.
I wonder if this is a 60's-70's era shirt? Someone else weigh in!

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Sound City
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 12:04:25 am »
Apparently it's Sunn (the band) Monoliths & Dimensions, their sixth studio album. Maybe it was recorded at Sound City ?

Dave Grohl is credited as director, I think he also gets a producer or executive producer credit. He's supposed to be rich among drummers, only Ringo and Phil Collins have more money. How many drummers have their own signature Gibson guitar?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 01:26:52 am by loudthud »