Author Topic: SOUND CHECK!!!  (Read 2183 times)

Offline PB Blaster

SOUND CHECK!!!
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:24:39 pm »
Got the JBL's screwed in nice and snug (I swear they looked and felt so at home in that cab), checked some SUNN pics (Ed's) earlier on the thread to make sure the wires were orientated properly (dead on 8Ω paired up), got cab upright, head back on, fired it up, a couple riffs and and it was like WOW!!! Amazing tone! Rolls off soooo smoooth and low ;-{) As soon as I ripped off a few licks, even my honey working just outside commented on how nice they sounded. I then put the back back one, snugged every screw down nice and tight and played it some more, definitely got those yummy old school tones!

The speaks were a pair that were on eBay, just when I was looking for a pair, and no one else was interested enough to make me pay more than asking price so that was nice! The story on them was that (they came from Northwest Oregon) he had gotten them back in the day from someone who claimed that they had belonged to the bass player in POCO. He then had them in some sound reinforcement stuff and they sounded great but eventually he took them back out on account of their collectability and so he wouldn't blow them up.

Can't wait to start playing this thing a little bit more regularly now.

Here's another stupid question (Ed? ;-{), if you run out of the main (8Ω) speaker out, and you want to add another 8Ω cabinet... the other out says 4Ω, does that mean the load across both outs is then 4Ω? My question is was the intended load for the other out supposed to be an 8Ω cabinet also, because it says 4Ω, so it's a little confusing...

The D140F's. They were supposed to be 3 serial numbers apart, and dang it if I forgot to look before I buttoned it up. I thought that maybe they could be dated from the serial numbers?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:41:18 pm by PB Blaster »

Offline PB Blaster

Re: SOUND CHECK!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 09:44:05 pm »
BB, PM'd you about the Altecs, they are packed to ship in the JBL boxes, 50lbs!

Played the beast again this afternoon on a short break, wow!!! Sounded so good, fat, and meaty. No doubt the best bass amp I've ever had in my possession. So glad I stayed away from all of the cheesy Bassman 100 amps, etc and other stuff that has come up on CL the last couple years (the wonder of researching gear, reading reviews on the net, what to stay away from ;-{). It was worth the wait. And finally, a decent pic.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:26:28 am by PB Blaster »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 08:49:00 am »
Here's another stupid question (Ed? ;-{), if you run out of the main (8Ω) speaker out, and you want to add another 8Ω cabinet... the other out says 4Ω, does that mean the load across both outs is then 4Ω? My question is was the intended load for the other out supposed to be an 8Ω cabinet also, because it says 4Ω, so it's a little confusing...

Yes, and yes it is kinda confusing. The jacks will connect to the taps as they are marked when used individually, but when both jacks are used they default in parallel to the lower impedance tap.

Offline PB Blaster

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 10:23:27 pm »
Ok, thx for explaining it. I did search and found a few posts that more or less covered it, but not as clearly.

i was wondering what happened to the end of the other thread, it ended up here. Was it because I added SOUND CHECK!!! into the subject line?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 05:56:59 am »
i was wondering what happened to the end of the other thread, it ended up here. Was it because I added SOUND CHECK!!! into the subject line?

I split it because the "sound check" post is a different topic from your original "Hello everybody, new to the forum" post, and because the thread had pretty much derailed anyway.

Now the thread should hopefully stay mostly about your Sonaro cab and it's speakers.