Author Topic: SUNN Model T serial numbers quest  (Read 10585 times)

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: SUNN Model T serial numbers quest
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 11:12:27 am »
I haven't traced out the circuits, but I wonder if mine has first generation tone controls.

My understanding is that the first generation (1G) models had traditional tone controls, which are boost only. 2G models have Baxandall tone controls on the bass and treble, which are boost/cut, like those on hi-fi amps. For a Baxandall circuit, flat should be the mid position, about 5 on the control. To me, 5 sounds significantly boosted on my amp. If I'm right about this, then the transitional amp (known for a little while as the Super T) with its tone controls on 0 should sound essentially the same as a red knob 2G amp with its bass and treble controls on 5 and the midrange controls matched. I have only the one amp, so I can't do the test.
Isaac

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 11:22:11 am »
Good article on tone controls here: http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/tonestack.html
Isaac

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 11:35:04 am »
And here is a technical description of the Baxandall circuit and how it works: http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/baxandall.html
Isaac

Offline 2000s a space odyssey

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 11:22:18 am »
Stanner your red model t I believe used to be mine. I sold it to a guy in North Carolina sometime in the mid 2000's. Does it still have JJ KT 88's? I included the original GE 6550's when I sold it too.  That's a Marshall red elephant tolex. The black corners are from parts express. I'm thinking I had to make a new board for the back.The original tolex was tore up pretty bad.  Should have new filter caps too. I bought it from a music store in Altoona, PA for $225. Man I was stupid to sell that one.

Offline 2000s a space odyssey

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 12:12:52 pm »
I own a silver/white badged Sunn Model T with a mid selector switch thats dated 1975 I'm thinking. I bought it from the original owner who lives in California. Thing is in mint shape. I use it with a 215s cabinet loaded with JBL D140F's. Both are reconed though. Remember Stanner I'm the guy who sold you that 415 cabinet from PA. Funny how stuff moves back and forth from east to west coast.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 06:58:50 pm »
yes I remember those 4X15s-i had two-they gone now-too heavy for the sound they provided(for me anyway). that red T has 6550s in it-my teck checked it out and loves the insides and the sound. all good. lov the tolex-good job.
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER