Author Topic: 1st Gen Model T for the CHEAP!  (Read 6878 times)

Offline mike_sims

1st Gen Model T for the CHEAP!
« on: February 09, 2011, 05:12:07 pm »
Found this on CL. Thought I'd put it up here in case anybody is interested. only $900
http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/msg/2204323256.html
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline soberskipper

• Biased to class O)))
Re: 1st Gen Model T for the CHEAP!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 07:05:13 pm »
yeah, don't bother. I tried to buy it and he said he was trying to "generate interest". I don't know what that means but its lame. He said he was going to put it on ebay tonight or tomorrow...

Will somebody sell me a good condition Model T? If you want MONEY, I will trade it to you for the amp. Usually how it works!!  :-D

Offline soberskipper

• Biased to class O)))
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:05:35 pm »
nevermind, GOT IT! he posted it on ebay for $1100 BIN... $1,177.02 out the door! He said it had been in storage since 1977 and he was the original owner  :-o

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 09:51:25 pm »
nevermind, GOT IT! he posted it on ebay for $1100 BIN... $1,177.02 out the door! He said it had been in storage since 1977 and he was the original owner  :-o

yeah it looks mint from the pictures, it's already out of the listing? that's fast!

lot of Sunn gear for sale lately...!
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline Nater

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 12:53:27 am »
Model T's have become nearly impossible to find for a decent price. Im glad im taking Electrical Engineering, one day i will build my replica model T, with extras of coarse.

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 01:26:43 am »
I *this* close from biting onto a Model T but it's disheartening to see them go so fast.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 01:36:23 am »
The prices on 'em vary from time to time. I got one (NOS) for $1900, and one for a straight across trade. Just keep your eyes peeled, I found a friend of mine a NOS one for 1300 BIN.

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 05:12:02 am »
I check the jaxed mash every day!

so I've seen 4 or 5 vintage model T for sale lately...! but I just don't have 1500$ to spend right now. :|

I keep to the 500$ head like Solarus or Sonaro for now.

still waiting for a 2nd Sonaro to have the bass rig the same way...

I might trade my 2 Solarus for a model T later...but I like them too much for now. :-D
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline soberskipper

• Biased to class O)))
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 07:25:16 am »
I asked mercury about transformers and the guy said they have the proper lay down type for model T with the ultra linear taps and everything. They are $500 for the pair.

Offline Nater

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 02:00:39 pm »
Yeah the transformers are almost a deal breaker to building one. Its sucks being a broke musician and student. And the reason why Model T's are overly priced is cause people know there are a bunch of rich doom hipster kids out there who think that if they have a Model t they can be like there favorite bands. lol
I love my only sunn amp a 1971 Concert PA, is does what i need it to do. I would never spend over $1000 for a first gen model t. Id rather save a bit more and go buy Verellen Amp. Now that guy knows how to make a great hand wired amp.
Chev i see that your a Sunn O))) type clone, no offense. What do you think about the unrealistic inflation of vintage sunn amps?

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 06:14:15 pm »
Yeah the transformers are almost a deal breaker to building one. Its sucks being a broke musician and student. And the reason why Model T's are overly priced is cause people know there are a bunch of rich doom hipster kids out there who think that if they have a Model t they can be like there favorite bands. lol
I love my only sunn amp a 1971 Concert PA, is does what i need it to do. I would never spend over $1000 for a first gen model t. Id rather save a bit more and go buy Verellen Amp. Now that guy knows how to make a great hand wired amp.
Chev i see that your a Sunn O))) type clone, no offense. What do you think about the unrealistic inflation of vintage sunn amps?

haha, must be because of my youtube with the cloak drone...

yeah I wish the band didn't take the brand name even if I love their music...would make the model T cheaper...drone is actually a very little fraction of what I play with my Sunns!

at least the Solarus and Sonaro are more realistic for now...for the price of Model T, I see some deal sometimes but at the price thei're getting, I'd start looking at Hiwatt or Electric Amps!

out of subject:

On my amps, I play darkened Black Doom & Sludge Doom, will start building some Experimental Prog tracks...and with a 3rd drummer my next project would be either Death Doom or Funeral Doom...so not much drone actually...

actually, my drones sounds much better with my EHX fx board into my MacBook Pro/Presonus/Logic Express/AmpDesigner plug-ins...gets me to record 5-6 tracks of drones at ounce with more definition and control...thinking about getting Apogee GIO board with Live for live drones plug straight in the PA...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:24:32 pm by chev »

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 04:11:49 pm »
DEATH DOOM!!!! DO IT!

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 02:43:52 pm »
These posts have piqued my curiosity, so I thought I’d jump in to hopefully clarify my understanding of the reasoning here. I know my style can be a bit abrasive, but I’m not trying to personally assault anyone or their ideas, I’m not trying to flame anybody, or belittle anyone. I’m truly curious as to what motivates the logic behind these ideas, because I think I’m missing some point.
And, hopefully it will broaden my understanding of the gear market.

Yeah the transformers are almost a deal breaker to building one. Its sucks being a broke musician and student. And the reason why Model T's are overly priced is cause people know there are a bunch of rich doom hipster kids out there who think that if they have a Model t they can be like there favorite bands. Lol

Don’t you think that the real reason Model T’s are bringing what they bring is because people are paying that much? I would think that speculators and collectors working the market are the reason for the value of Model T’s more so than “rich doom hipster kids”.
Watch the pattern on eBay, a T will pop up, bring stupid money and then they start popping up all over the place. The frenzy plays out; auctions and BIN’s go unsold, the prices drop, and the availability dries up. Eventually the cycle starts again.
Not long ago T’s were bringing $2K+, now they are about half that. I’m sure I’m not the only one who notices that the same amps keep cycling, that’s just the way it works. If you want an amp, wait until the market gets soft and bust your ass beating the bushes for one, when they are hot they are easy to find, but you will pay “hot market” prices.
And by the way, I think that people trying to be “like” the artists they admire is without question the most powerful driving force behind the success or failure of current production MI gear. Model T’s don’t really count; they have been out of production for a while now.

I think that if what people buying the amps are paying is what causes the “unrealistic inflation” of which you speak, it’s actually very realistic, indeed, as real as it gets. By comparison, what is unrealistic is what people think they should be worth.
I wouldn’t personally pay even $1000 for a Model T unless it was minty, and I had a place to sell it before I laid out the cash. That said, as far as ACV (Actual Cash Value) for a Model T, it really doesn’t matter if you or I would personally spend over $1000 for a Model T; if the average Model T buyer IS spending over $1000.
It just means that it is unlikely either of us will get one, it has no bearing or influence on the true value or “unrealistic inflation” of the amps.

haha, must be because of my youtube with the cloak drone...

yeah I wish the band didn't take the brand name even if I love their music...would make the model T cheaper...drone is actually a very little fraction of what I play with my Sunns!

at least the Solarus and Sonaro are more realistic for now...for the price of Model T, I see some deal sometimes but at the price thei're getting, I'd start looking at Hiwatt or Electric Amps!

Here’s what I don’t understand about that. I have “hands on” experience with playing, buying and selling Sunns, Hiwatts, Matamp, and lots of other gear. IMO current market value is unrelated to the fact that they all have their plusses and minuses, and are decidedly different amps; tonally, power wise, and in response characteristics. To my ears a chime-y clean Hiwatt/Reeves is the total other side of the amp spectrum from a warm and fuzzy Matamp/Electric; is it just me? 
In other words, I don’t feel they are interchangeable, if you need a Sunn for a particular application, well, you need a Sunn. A Hiwatt is an entirely different animal, as is a Verellen, or a Matamp, or a Fender, or an Ampeg, and in my world they aren’t interchangeable items; in my experience an amp is not just an amp.
Or am I completely missing your point; are you of the opinion that Sunns are inherently inferior to Electric or Hiwatt amps? Is the only reason for buying a Sunn a cheaper price?

If cost does trump tone, wouldn’t the whole world be playing Behringers?

As I hinted at above, Sunns have been all over the price spectrum in the last decade. I know; I’ve been paying close attention. Regardless of that, the amps themselves are still the same; a healthy 2000S is a healthy 2000S if you buy it for $2500 during an eBay feeding frenzy or if you buy it for $200 at a yard sale.
As an outsider looking in, it’s been my belief that Sunns initially became popular with the smoke and robes crowd because they were cheap and loud, but I thought they had pretty much transcended that stigma and had become the “preferred” amp because of their tonal characteristics.
However, reading these posts almost makes it seem like rather than Sunns contributing to defining the genre, the prevailing opinion is that the only attribute worthwhile in a Sunn is if it’s less MONEY than a Hiwatt, or Electric, or Verellen, or a Matamp, or etc.

When I got into Sunns it was because they kicked ass and sounded great, the fact that they were reasonably priced was just an added benefit, not the motivating force.

Please discuss…

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 06:10:51 pm »
I don't know if I'm going to cover all those good points but here's my taughts on it.

My very 1st tube amp experience are my Sunn's I've got right now and I've got them because I wanted something different than all the Marshalls, Mesa, Ampeg I ear all the time.

I was looking for a different tone to please my ears and to suit the different style of music I wanted to play and as a bonus, I've got them for a better price than most equals vintage amps on the market at that time. I guess I was in a good cycle since I've got them all in less than 4-5 months locally and never saw anything as good after...!

On a second taught, I'm probably going to get a Model T soon or later but I'll have to get the fund because I'll probably will pay over 1K$ knowing that it's the tone I like.

Hiwatt just seems like the closest hand made quality & loud clean amp that takes dirt pedal well, but I didn't get a chance to try one. It will depend were we are in the market cycle like you describe when I'm ready to buy a bigger amp...? But if compare the features of a Model T to equals amps, it's in the 2k$ range...

Electric Amps are just another story of amp that I would like as much as a Model T, I wouldn't mind using one of each to get different tones! $$$!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:24:22 pm by chev »