Author Topic: SUNN photos anyone??  (Read 52159 times)

Offline rp

Re: SUNN photos anyone??
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2006, 07:47:40 pm »
Recently moded sunn 1200S head.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2006, 04:12:05 pm »

Looks familiar! I see you went with the Copper Caps and the KT90's. 
How's it sound?

Offline rp

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2006, 05:54:43 pm »

How's it sound?
It's hard to describe, but any half-way decent distortion medal, even the crappy
digitech I'm running through it now sounds IN-CREDIBLE. A true monster when overdriven and the harmonics and
harmonal feedback I get out of this gibson iommi humbucker are unlike anything I've ever heard....anywhere.
Notice the missing can caps? I had a board rated for 800v handmade and installed, then covered with the metal cap
you see in pic 2. Tung-sol 12AT7, good bit of re-wiring and cleaning, and yes four kt-90's. Loves downtuning and I find that
it sustains low deep low notes really well...can't cut it up past 5. The stock effects are kind of lame though and I was
surprised that it doesn't have a built in overdrive, but no matter as I said any crappy dist box sounds like doom itself.
I can only imagine what ratt or big muff is gonna sound like, not to mention a real cab.
The guy said it was rated for 200 watts, but the noticeable volume wouldn't sound that much more
powerful at three decibals...I dunno it does quite abit at 5. My reverb dial is a little noisy.
Thanks for all the advice ed. :-D

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2006, 01:55:18 pm »

How's it sound?
It's hard to describe, but any half-way decent distortion medal, even the crappy
digitech I'm running through it now sounds IN-CREDIBLE. A true monster when overdriven and the harmonics and
harmonal feedback I get out of this gibson iommi humbucker are unlike anything I've ever heard....anywhere.
Notice the missing can caps? I had a board rated for 800v handmade and installed, then covered with the metal cap
you see in pic 2. Tung-sol 12AT7, good bit of re-wiring and cleaning, and yes four kt-90's. Loves downtuning and I find that
it sustains low deep low notes really well...can't cut it up past 5. The stock effects are kind of lame though and I was
surprised that it doesn't have a built in overdrive, but no matter as I said any crappy dist box sounds like doom itself.
I can only imagine what ratt or big muff is gonna sound like, not to mention a real cab.
The guy said it was rated for 200 watts, but the noticeable volume wouldn't sound that much more
powerful at three decibals...I dunno it does quite abit at 5. My reverb dial is a little noisy.
Thanks for all the advice ed. :-D

Glad it worked out. With your strengthened power supply, a lower gain preamp tube and those hi-fi KT90's it should take your pedals very well indeed. I'm a little surprised you break up at 5 though. You're working your output tubes pretty hard, but the KT90's usually hold up to abuse pretty well. Tube amps, particularly hand wired PTP, all have personalities and your particular circuit may just like "5", or you might be distorting the speakers you're using.

Offline rp

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2006, 03:17:48 am »
More than likely the speakers, yes. They can't handle the head too well. lol

Online Soundmasterg

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2006, 02:55:54 pm »
MC2, where are you located? I'd be interested in a 2000S cabinet too if you decide to sell, even an unloaded one as I have some JBL D140F's I can use.

I'll have to put up some pics of my 1970 Sonic 1 that I modified and changed to a 200S. (It was the same as a 200S circuit-wise, but I changed the labelling since the original was faded away. I too used a Copper Cap, but I went with JJ KT88's in the blue glass, and made mods to the amp circuit too, mainly consisting of larger value caps in the power supply, and changed some other things to allow a galactic ground scheme ala Kevin O'Connor's recommendations. Its very quiet now, and performs better than stock for bass.

I'll see if I can post the pics soon.

Greg

Offline Branimir

• Drong...drong....
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 02:33:17 pm »

Beta Lead is mine, bought it - yesterday!
Concert Lead belongs to a friend of mine, his band shares the garage with my band, so the amps are always together, like brothers ;)

Offline Ryanx

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2006, 07:04:49 pm »

Offline mmcintosh50

Pics of Sunn - Hammond Conversion by Conrad Sundholm - 1966ish
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2006, 11:41:27 am »
I love all these pics!

I am new here, and posted a pic today Dec 28, 2006 as a new thread.  I'm seeking help with history of this equipment.  I don't mean to duplicate that post, but this might be the best place for it.

Find that post if you can, it has details.

For this reply though, check this out:

Locate my other post, though, or go to a site I am building (unrelated to Sunn) where I parked the rest of the pics for easy viewing while I figure out what to do.

http://www.wellness-people.com/sunn.html

Martin

« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 11:57:36 am by mmcintosh50 »

Offline Spectrum II

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 08:41:18 pm »
I posted these in the last pic post, but here they are again. I still love it now as I did then.

Offline eotpr

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2007, 04:45:16 pm »
Here is mine... (I hope)

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2007, 05:52:32 pm »
eotpr, what kind of guitar is that?  It looks nifty!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2007, 06:29:40 pm »
eotpr, what kind of guitar is that?  It looks nifty!
So nifty that George Barris used them as inspiration for a car in the mid 60's!

Offline eotpr

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2007, 08:04:01 am »
Rick.heil,
   That is a VOX Mark VI they were made in '65-'68.  If anyone knows anything about vintage guitars I  sure could use some help with this.  The Italian made ones are supposed to be sunburst and are valued at around 1300.00.  The White ones should be made in England and are the Pete Townsend version and are Valued at 2000.00-3000.00.  Mine says it is made in Italy but it is wite so it is an odd duck.  It is in pertty much new condition.  The car that was posted comes from the Phantom Mark III and Mark VI I think.  Pretty cool.  I am trying to sell the white one but I don't really know if it is 1300.00 version or the 2000.00-3000.00 version.