Author Topic: NEW TO SUNN  (Read 2482 times)

Offline LPB

NEW TO SUNN
« on: September 19, 2010, 02:04:22 pm »

Hi, brand new here. I'm still learning how to navigate around the Page, but I've done some searches and gotten some great info.

I just recently snagged a 200S amp and matching 2x15 cab. It all seems pretty legit and in good order. There's no date/stickers anywhere on the amp, there is some scribble on the underside of the chassis, but no date. I took the back off the cab and there's nothing in there either. It's does not have the 'R' on the logo. I'm wondering what the year spread I'm working with and if there's anyway to narrow it down.

I'm also looking to get her cleaned, checked and probably capped. Is there anything specific I should keep in mind here, or is it a pretty straightforward operation.

Thank You,

LPB

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
Re: NEW TO SUNN
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 06:40:18 am »
Check the date codes on the pots and other components.

If you haven't been able to play your 200S much yet, believe me when I say you now have one of the best bass amplification rigs ever!
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline LPB

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 06:21:04 pm »
Check the date codes on the pots and other components.

If you haven't been able to play your 200S much yet, believe me when I say you now have one of the best bass amplification rigs ever!

Will do! I don't know why I didn't think of that, thank you so much!!

I had been looking for an all tube rig to play my P bass through. I gigged it last night and it was pretty unbelievable. I had the Low Boost on, Volume between 4 and 5, Treble between 2 and 3 and the Bass between 3 and 4. It's been a lot of years since I actually stood in front of a "real bass amp".

HOLY.......WOW!!!!

Offline LPB

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:30:47 pm »
 So the date codes on the pots are all '66 and '67. I'm also going to include a picture of the marking on the underside of the chassis, it may have little meaning but I think it's pretty interesting nonetheless.

Thanks!

Offline HRobert

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 05:44:40 pm »
Welcome to the Sunn DP.  Congrats on snagging the 200S.  If he logo doesn't have the "R" in a circle it's probably a 67 or maybea 68.

Rob

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 11:57:04 pm »
There are often dates signed into the chassis with a sharpie...sometimes there are even initials or the name of the person who did the work. Sometimes the cabinets are signed internally on the angled boards. I've got a date from feb 1969 in my 2000S head and two names and a big peace sign in my 2000S cabinet from 1969...haha.

Greg

Offline LPB

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 07:45:12 pm »
 Thanks so much for the information and replies, I really appreciate it!

Aside from the one strange marked I posted there are no markings or dates anywhere inside the amp chassis or cab. 67-68 sounds good to me. I'm feeling really fortunate on this whole deal. It came with killer tubes, everything is in such good shape, and it sounds really, really good. It's got an old brass/copper tag attached to the back of the head, looks like the amps was originally sold at Wonderland Music in Michigan. It's kind of cool it made the trip East, then came back West again.