Don't Care
4 (44.4%)
Oopsie, will Reduce BIN
1 (11.1%)
Hey, repost because I didn't know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: December 13, 2010, 09:27:59 am

Author Topic: Holy Moses! - $1200 BIN on eBay for a Single 115RH  (Read 6679 times)

Offline Dean_Christian

Holy Moses! - $1200 BIN on eBay for a Single 115RH
« on: November 13, 2010, 09:27:59 am »
So I was cruising eBay like any good Sunn hoarder does and saw someone with the gall to post a single 115RH cabinet (with road wear) for $1200!  I bought one 4 months ago for 75 so I mailed the guy and got a ration of crap for me to mind my own business.  So I thought a poll would be in order, namely just how much of a scumbag can people be and still not live under a rock - you decide.

Used to be musical people took care of their own, not this cutthroat stuff. I remember getting a "free" bass lesson because I didn't have the dough and asked my instructor if I could still have lesson if I swept his store (many moons ago, wouldn't try that now).

And, get with it guys, one oversale price score on your part is not going to make you rich.  Or buying an overpriced Sunn box is not going to make you sound like Entwistle or Hendrix either.

Getting tired of the games and continuous backstabbing, maybe time to hang up my gear since you people are running prices all over the map. 

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
Re: Holy Moses! - $1200 BIN on eBay for a Single 115RH
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 10:23:48 am »
since you people are running prices all over the map.

You do realize that most of the people on this forum are pretty respectful, and are unlikely to have been the person selling that cabinet(I say that because you seem to feel someone on the forum is selling that. If not, my apology)? That aside, if someone wants to try and sell a cabinet for $1200, so be it. Yeah, it sucks.  It means someone is going to be duped into paying way too much for something.  But more than likely, it means that chap will be entertaining a cabinet until he realizes that no one is going to pay that much for that.

So, a recap: Yes it is ridiculous. Yes, it is the nature of capitalism.  Lastly(but not least), you can rest soundly, because if you take a look around on here, you'll find most people want other forum members to get the chance to enjoy fine gear. People post links to solid deals, offer fair trades, etc. The people on here--largely--are gear geeks who are enthusiastic about sharing their love and knowledge of gear. I think it's collectively agreed upon that we keep it that way, and have a laugh at ebay sellers like that.

(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 11:35:07 am »
Well, I hope you also emailed this seller and told them the price was way too low.

http://montana.craigslist.org/msg/2050990581.html

So, if someone buys this Concert and 610 for $180, then are they also a “scumbag” for having the gall to buy it under average market value?

Are you referring to this listing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-Rare-Vintage-Sunn-115RH-Cabinet-/190466869049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c58b5c739

Are you aware of what “Or Best Offer” means?

As far as the price, who cares what the BIN is? Those are my favorite type of listings, if I see something I want with a BIN/OBO, I'll bid what I am willing to pay and forget about it unless I get a "Congratulations!" email from eBay; no temptation to chase things too high. I've actually bought gear off eBay for less than half of the BIN price.
Granted, way more often than not I don't get it, but what's the harm in trying? As the old saying goes "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained".   :wink:

As far as I know, the seller isn’t forcing anyone to buy the 115RH, at least I didn’t see any threats to persons who’s “Best Offer” was under the BIN price, and as long as the item description is accurate, potential buyers can decide for themselves what they are willing to pay for an item.
While you can certainly express your opinion, I agree with the seller; you should mind your own business. The seller has every right to ask whatever they choose, just as you have the right to sell every piece of gear you own for $5 on Craig’s List.
Is a Sunn 115RH “worth” $1500, or now $800? Not to me it isn’t, not by a loooong shot.
But, that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth $2500 to somebody, and if that somebody wants to pay $2500 for one, I don’t understand why it’s any of your business, or even worth the time these posts took to type.

There is one irrefutable fact in the used market. An item is “worth” exactly what someone is willing to pay. As long as there is no deception involved, who cares?

By the way, if you do decide to sell your gear for $5, please post it here so the Sunn forum members get first shot at it!  :wink:

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 11:46:51 am »
FWIW, I e-mailed the 115RH seller to tell him what a great cab it is but gently hinted that his price was a bit high. He admitted he didn't know where to start with it, and hadn't seen any other listings to gauge a price, so I suggested he reduce his BIN to $400 or $500 so potential bidders wouldn't be afraid to make an offer. While he only reduced his BIN to $800, I saw he posted a Craiglist ad asking for $400, so that's progress.  :-)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 01:25:45 pm by CLD »
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 04:26:04 pm »
It's stuff like this that makes me want a section on the website that keeps track of past sales of Sunn products on eBay. That would be pretty handy, I would think.

Offline matto)))

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 05:18:01 pm »
i saw this on my local craigslist, same guy.  he had it posted for 400 but said he'dtake 200 when i called him, i decided not to get it though. (i confused it with the 115bh and it was just too small for my taste)

Offline HRobert

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 06:53:17 pm »
It's stuff like this that makes me want a section on the website that keeps track of past sales of Sunn products on eBay. That would be pretty handy, I would think.
I agree.  After a while a pattern could be developed that showed what Sunn equipment sells for in the real world

Offline HRobert

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 07:00:34 pm »
So I was cruising eBay like any good Sunn hoarder does and saw someone with the gall to post a single 115RH cabinet (with road wear) for $1200!  I bought one 4 months ago for 75 so I mailed the guy and got a ration of crap for me to mind my own business.  So I thought a poll would be in order, namely just how much of a scumbag can people be and still not live under a rock - you decide.

Used to be musical people took care of their own, not this cutthroat stuff. I remember getting a "free" bass lesson because I didn't have the dough and asked my instructor if I could still have lesson if I swept his store (many moons ago, wouldn't try that now).

And, get with it guys, one oversale price score on your part is not going to make you rich.  Or buying an overpriced Sunn box is not going to make you sound like Entwistle or Hendrix either.

Getting tired of the games and continuous backstabbing, maybe time to hang up my gear since you people are running prices all over the map. 

Sounds like someone has an issue with what people ask for their Sunn equipment.  A person has the right to ask what ever he/she wants...doesn't mean the price will be met.  If it's too high...don't bid on it...let it go, relieve the stress in your life...the world isn't going to end because someone asks a selling price highr than you feel is fair...or what you want to pay.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 10:28:23 pm »
not adding anything new. it just reminds me of the early days of Hendrix bootleg records. everyone thought the prices were totally outlandish-yet they always sold. the motto was 'anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it'. it still holds true today-dont itt :-)
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 11:12:40 pm »
Anyways, I voted 'Don't Care' because in all honesty, I don't give two deuces about a 115RH and I don't think anyone else really does either.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 11:33:43 am »
I don't give two deuces about a 115RH and I don't think anyone else really does either.

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 01:31:01 pm »
The 115RH are excellent cabinets (I have two, both upgraded with JBL E-140 speakers).  Much more manageable size and weight than the 118VH/MH.

Don't knock cabs you haven't tried yourself or that simply don't suit your tastes!
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 01:52:37 pm »
That's cool. I just don't see the point in single speaker cabs, especially with the limited space I have available and need to maximum power.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 02:18:54 pm »
  I don't mind single driver cabs,at my age,(mid 50's),I'm still gigging and loading my own gear in and out,it means a few more trips,but I can handle every piece by myself.I tend to load the cabs up with high power spkrs. and they work fine for me,will handle my 4,5,and 8 str. basses well.Just my 2 cents,Mel.