Author Topic: Sunn Concert Keyboard with bass guitar  (Read 3480 times)

Offline buchadaazeda

Sunn Concert Keyboard with bass guitar
« on: May 31, 2014, 07:44:27 am »
There's a fella in my country selling a Sunn Concert Keyboard head for a good price.

Is it any good with bass guitar? What's the main difference between it and the other Sunn Concert amps? What does the brite switch do and what would happen if I were to plug my bass in the normal input and use an expression pedal with the head?

Thanks

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn Concert Keyboard with bass guitar
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:56:52 am »
I've never seen one in person, let alone played bass through one, but I do have a few thoughts.

Sunn amps are usually pretty hi-fi, by which I mean that there is little coloration to the sound. I'd expect this from a keyboard amp anyway, and certainly from a Sunn keyboard amp. It's also what I look for in a bass amp. Additionally, I've played bass through several Sunn guitar amps, and have always found the result satisfactory, at the least. So I'd expect the same with this amp.

The tone controls won't be optimized for bass, so you might not get the exact response from them that you want, but that doesn't mean that the result won't be useful. Just don't expect the tone controls to make up for deficiencies in the speakers, if any.

I don't see a "normal" input, just hi and lo. I don't know if those represent hi and lo gain or hi and lo level inputs. Maybe someone else can tell you, but it wouldn't take long to figure it out. Just plug in and see which one gives you more signal.

What to expect? I'd expect a wide, flat frequency response, with little or no coloration. As I said above, I like that in a bass amp, but other people want more coloration for a "livelier" sound. In short, I think it would work great for me. Your mileage may vary, as we say.

What country are you in?
Isaac

Offline buchadaazeda

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 03:09:29 pm »
I'm in Brazil. There are no good native amp head brands here (except from a handful of boutique builders) and stores usually buy the products that got a B on the quality control test and sell it for twice the price of a new one.

A brand new Ampeg Micro VR head costs 1100 dollars here.  :lol:

I really like colored amps but I can live with a clean sounding amp - I have a pedal that does a good simulation of an old Fender blackface with no loss of lo-end so tone's not a problem.

I'm going to couple the head with a custom 4x10 or a 2x12 cabinet, granted the head can drive one of 'em. Do you know what's its wattage?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 08:26:47 pm »
The black and silver Concert amps are 150w @ 4 ohms, 80 or so into 8. I think the black face Concerts are 200w @ 4 ohms.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 09:16:17 pm »
I'm in Brazil. There are no good native amp head brands here (except from a handful of boutique builders) and stores usually buy the products that got a B on the quality control test and sell it for twice the price of a new one.

A brand new Ampeg Micro VR head costs 1100 dollars here:lol:

I really like colored amps but I can live with a clean sounding amp - I have a pedal that does a good simulation of an old Fender blackface with no loss of lo-end so tone's not a problem.

I'm going to couple the head with a custom 4x10 or a 2x12 cabinet, granted the head can drive one of 'em. Do you know what's its wattage?

Is that 1100 USD as in 2,465 BRL, or 1100 BRL?

Offline buchadaazeda

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 10:15:03 pm »

A brand new Ampeg Micro VR head costs 1100 dollars here:lol:

Is that 1100 USD as in 2,465 BRL, or 1100 BRL?

In USD, believe it or not.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 09:20:16 am »
Have you heard of Fahey amps? They are made in Argentina by Juan Fahey. He posts regularly on Music-Electronics-Forum and SSGuitar forum.

Offline buchadaazeda

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 09:09:57 am »

I bought it. Haven't had the chance to try it out yet because I don't have a 220V to 120V transformer but I'll sort it out by next band rehearsal.