Author Topic: Speaker suggestion for Sorado Cab  (Read 5819 times)

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Speaker suggestion for Sorado Cab
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 07:37:53 pm »
I dunno. Let me run some sims and get back to you.
Isaac

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 08:22:33 pm »
The EVM-15L is not a choice I would make. It was designed as a bass horn driver, and is reportedly excellent in that application. In the Sorado cabinet, it would have a -3dB point at about 130Hz, which is pretty high for a bass cabinet. It'd be loud, but weak on the low end. I think it'd sound a lot like a JBL D130, which a lot of people like. Not nearly enough low end for my taste.
Isaac

Offline Final Baton

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 09:11:46 am »
Thanks Isaac and everyone who took the time to respond, it is greatly appreciated.
So I think I finally made my choice : it will be the Eminence CB15 for now, since they seem like a great performer for a rig that consist of only one cab.

In the future though I will definitly experiement with rigs that consist of 2 cabs, and I have a question regarding splitting a signals frequencies over two cabs. Can I ask this question here, or is there a more appropriate thread on the Sunn forum ?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:27:02 am by Final Baton »

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 12:25:58 pm »
I don't know of any threads addressing that. I'd suggest a new thread. Maybe do a search first.
Isaac

Offline Final Baton

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 03:04:59 pm »
Yeah did a lot of researches on google but still can't find the anwer I'm looking for. I'll probably start a new thread here in the Q & A section

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 09:09:31 pm »
Another affordable option would be the JBL 2225 or 2226. The 2226 is a beast, fantastic performance and extremely stout. Still used in JBL's top line installation cabinets. The 2225 is out of production, but prolific in the used market, probably more musical than the '26 but not nearly as robust.
I have dozens of both, if you are interested PM me and I'll get you a "forum friendly" price...

My "go to" 15's in my side ported S cabs are the EVM15L. Stout and very musical, will take a lot more power than the D Series and while not as bassy as the EVM15B it has a tighter bottom than the B, and when pushed is less prone to bottom end flab than either the D130F or the D140F, not as sweet as the D's but less flabby.
Don't let the "L" designation mislead you. Although the L stand for "Lead" and B stands for "Bass", the EVM15L is the driver that EV designed the TL606 cab around, and that is arguably the most copied MI bass guitar cab in history; Orange, Trace Elliot, GK, Mesa, etc.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 11:16:30 pm »
You have dozens? I thought I was bad, with seven raw 15"s laying around!
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 01:44:33 am »
Well, not exactly my drivers. While I do have way too many raw drivers personally, the 2225's and 2226's I'm referring to are actually owned by my employer. I'm the pro gear manager for a major production company, a large venue/touring SR, staging, lighting and video provider.

http://www.loudandclear.com/

One of the operations I'm responsible for is liquidating our "obsolete" inventory. I personally wouldn't really use the term "obsolete" to describe the gear we dump because it's still very useful; just not to us anymore, so it's referred to as "obsolete" internally.
For us to even be able to bid of major festivals and/or tours it's critical that we stay cutting edge, so we're pretty much all digital processing and large format flying line arrays anymore, and we have a few tractor trailer loads of point source stacks, mostly JBL loaded.
If anyone here is so inclined, I also have 48 Turbosound TFL-760Hs and 48 TSW-721 available that I would love to "liquidate".

Most of our 2226's are in huge pro wedges, and the 2225's are in 250 lb. +  side fill cabs, but they are so freekin' heavy and costly to ship that I often just have the drivers pulled and scrap the boxes.

Since the proverbial cat is out of the bag, anyone interested can email me at ed@loudandclear.com or call me at 513-421-0488 and ask for Ed; tell the receptionist that you are from the Sunn Forum when they ask "who's calling" so you don't arbitrarily get put into my VM. I also buy our production gear so I get a ton of solicitation calls.
Email is best...

Offline Final Baton

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 07:55:30 am »
I bump this thread because I want to ask about another application for this cabinet.
How would it fare as a guitar cabinet, with two evm15l?
would the cab's tuning frequency be a good match for these speakers?
Would these speakers be at their best inside that cab (for guitar playing)? or just doing an ok job? or would it totally waste their potential?

And in the case these speakers aren't a good match for guitar : is this cab usable for guitar at all?

I have seen guitarist gear descriptions mentionning 2x15 cabs with EVM15L before - notably Buzz Osbourne of the Melvins and Steve Albini. But I'm not shure if my cab has a tuning frequency equivalent to their's.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:05:41 am by Final Baton »

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 12:09:56 pm »
I think it'd be fine. IMO, cabinets aren't nearly as critical for guitar as they are for bass. Guitars' lowest fundamental is 80 Hz, and most guitar amps roll off above that. The tuning frequency of most cabinets are well below that, so the sound for guitar is usually dictated almost entirely by the drivers. Open back vs closed does make a difference. So if you like the sound of the EVs, I think you'll like them in this cabinet.
Isaac

Offline Final Baton

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 11:30:51 am »
I think it'd be fine. IMO, cabinets aren't nearly as critical for guitar as they are for bass. Guitars' lowest fundamental is 80 Hz, and most guitar amps roll off above that. The tuning frequency of most cabinets are well below that, so the sound for guitar is usually dictated almost entirely by the drivers. Open back vs closed does make a difference. So if you like the sound of the EVs, I think you'll like them in this cabinet.
Thanks Isaac! I have only one evm15l right now though, if I put only one speaker in the cab and left the other hole open, does this affect the sound?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 01:34:56 pm »
Very much so. Some people do this sort of thing intentionally. It's sometimes called a "detuned" cabinet. What it does is to allow the front and back waves from the driver to cancel each other out. Open back cabinets do this, too, but the open hole on the front baffle lets the cancellation happen at a much higher frequency. So you'd lose all the bass, and a lot of the midrange. Some people like the result, but I don't think I would.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 08:55:56 pm »
I think pretty much anything goes for guitar, unlike the sound reproduction basis that most bass guitar rigs subscribe to.
Hook it up and let us know how you like it!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 10:43:39 am »
Exactly! Guitarists have done almost everything anyone can think of to make a different sound come out of their speakers. I think it was Ray Davies who used a razor to slash the cones of his speakers to get a fuzzy sound. More than in any other application, for electric guitars, speakers are a part of the instrument, creating the sound rather than reproducing it.

So absolutely, try anything. In most cases, if you don't like it, you can put it back the way it was. Except for slashing the cones. That's hard to reverse.
Isaac