Author Topic: diy gear sound samples  (Read 5490 times)

Offline arskas

• Aurinnko)))
diy gear sound samples
« on: April 23, 2012, 05:16:25 am »
Don't know if there's a topic for these but I'd like to share a track here. It is I playin with my ex band at a local bar. The bass sound is right there:)
http://soundcloud.com/asaksala/suo-666-1

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:44:39 am by EdBass »

Offline D.M.N.

Re: diy gear sound samples
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 02:53:14 pm »
Here's my band on our last gig of the 2011 summer. Recorded on a little digital video cam, but it came out pretty well.

Signal path is:
62 RI P-bass (Swing 66 strings)-->Sunn 2000s-->2x2000s 2x15s (JBL K140s)

Tone and volume wide open on bass, amp volume probably on 10 (maybe 8 or 9), bass knob at 2, treble knob at 10, contour at 10, no bass boost.

An Original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCD_KxfSNx4

Our take on Bob Dylan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TydlOcXr-ac
House of the Rising Sunn........
-----------------------------------
1969 2000s
1972 2000s
1970 1200s
1968 1000s
1969 200s
2010 2000s DIY 2x15
1971 2000s 2x15
1969 2000s 2x15
1972 2000s 2x15
1968 1000s 2x15
1970 1200s 6x12

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 10:53:44 am »
Nice Stuff Guys!

Dylan; the gear, the tunes, the look, the attitude... I think you might have been born about half a century too late, but I personally find it inspiring.

It's makes my heart glad to see at least a couple of young bands using Sunn gear the way it was meant to be used; rather than just to play a single twenty measure power chord as loud as possible.

I suppose musical proficiency and Sunn amps are NOT mutually exclusive among players under 50 after all.

Offline D.M.N.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 02:57:52 am »
Nice Stuff Guys!

Dylan; the gear, the tunes, the look, the attitude... I think you might have been born about half a century too late, but I personally find it inspiring.

It's makes my heart glad to see at least a couple of young bands using Sunn gear the way it was meant to be used; rather than just to play a single twenty measure power chord as loud as possible.

I suppose musical proficiency and Sunn amps are NOT mutually exclusive among players under 50 after all.

Hey man, thank you so much. It means a lot to us. I've been told I was born too late too many times to count! Ha. We've been working hard to get off the ground, it can be a little tough in our area (we all live up on some islands north of Seattle, not much to do, but it gives us lots of time to woodshop our chops), but stuff's slowly coming together. We've got about two albums worth of material written and are going to record our first some time in the next month or so. We're hoping to send out the material to a few local labels, see what happens (not really holding our breath though). I'll definitely be using my 2000s in the studio (wanted to bring my 200s back from CT to record with, but couldn't afford the shipping), and possibly a Sentura for the vibrato and reverb on a few tracks.

It's funny, I was introduced to Sunn amps by a metalhead friend of mine, and we've played shows with lots of metal bands on the bill (such as the video up above) and some one will comment "those are great doom amps", and then we'll play, and guys will be floored by the sound. The sound guy at that show came up to me at the end and said it was one of the best, most powerful sounds he's heard, and how happy he was to see Sunn's still being used (he also said he hadn't seen one in near a decade). Most people around here seemingly use Peavy, or Crate, or Behringer, and then there's always the Ampegs for the bigger bands or stuff like Markbass and the microhead market, so I love carrying the banner of these amps, so to speak. One guy at a show in the band before us asked me about it, and I told him it was 40ish years old and 120W. He chuckled and said it was old and wouldn't be loud enough. I could barely hear him in the mix, muddy and didn't cut through. He came up after we played and asked if he could buy it, couldn't believe the tone. Makes me proud to be an owner of these great amps.

Anyways, thank you again for the kind words. I'll post more clips of it and the band when I get the chance.
House of the Rising Sunn........
-----------------------------------
1969 2000s
1972 2000s
1970 1200s
1968 1000s
1969 200s
2010 2000s DIY 2x15
1971 2000s 2x15
1969 2000s 2x15
1972 2000s 2x15
1968 1000s 2x15
1970 1200s 6x12

Offline Oli

• FEED YOUR HEAD!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:26:23 am »
Nice Stuff Guys!

Hey man, thank you so much. It means a lot to us. I've been told I was born too late too many times to count! Ha. We've been working hard to get off the ground, it can be a little tough in our area (we all live up on some islands north of Seattle, not much to do, but it gives us lots of time to woodshop our chops), but stuff's slowly coming together. We've got about two albums worth of material written and are going to record our first some time in the next month or so. We're hoping to send out the material to a few local labels, see what happens (not really holding our breath though). I'll definitely be using my 2000s in the studio (wanted to bring my 200s back from CT to record with, but couldn't afford the shipping), and possibly a Sentura for the vibrato and reverb on a few tracks.

It's funny, I was introduced to Sunn amps by a metalhead friend of mine, and we've played shows with lots of metal bands on the bill (such as the video up above) and some one will comment "those are great doom amps", and then we'll play, and guys will be floored by the sound. The sound guy at that show came up to me at the end and said it was one of the best, most powerful sounds he's heard, and how happy he was to see Sunn's still being used (he also said he hadn't seen one in near a decade). Most people around here seemingly use Peavy, or Crate, or Behringer, and then there's always the Ampegs for the bigger bands or stuff like Markbass and the microhead market, so I love carrying the banner of these amps, so to speak. One guy at a show in the band before us asked me about it, and I told him it was 40ish years old and 120W. He chuckled and said it was old and wouldn't be loud enough. I could barely hear him in the mix, muddy and didn't cut through. He came up after we played and asked if he could buy it, couldn't believe the tone. Makes me proud to be an owner of these great amps.

Anyways, thank you again for the kind words. I'll post more clips of it and the band when I get the chance.

Yeah,

great tunes. Was a fun to watch the vids.

Greetings

Oliver
SUNN Sorado - 1969 / SUNN 2000S - 1970 / SUNN Sorado  - 1971 / SUNN 350B - 1973 / SUNN Coliseum 880 - 1973 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1972 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1979 / 2x SUNN 215B - 1970/75 / SUNN/SAD 2000S cab

Offline arskas

• Aurinnko)))
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 04:09:09 am »
Here's my band on our last gig of the 2011 summer. Recorded on a little digital video cam, but it came out pretty well.

Signal path is:
62 RI P-bass (Swing 66 strings)-->Sunn 2000s-->2x2000s 2x15s (JBL K140s)

Tone and volume wide open on bass, amp volume probably on 10 (maybe 8 or 9), bass knob at 2, treble knob at 10, contour at 10, no bass boost.

An Original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCD_KxfSNx4

Our take on Bob Dylan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TydlOcXr-ac

Hey, really good stuff you have! Great bass lines.

Offline arskas

• Aurinnko)))
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 12:52:53 am »
here's a link to more music with bass tracked by me and my 200S clone:

verminspath.bandcamp.com