Author Topic: Old Tube Coliseum PA  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Butterylicious

Old Tube Coliseum PA
« on: February 01, 2008, 08:03:06 pm »
I just had an old Coliseum PA land on my bench.  The owner seems to think this is very rare.  I've never seen one and I've seen a lot of amps.  It still works but is in need of some TLC.  He's throwing down for a complete restoration.  Does anybody know how rare this puppy is and what it's worth?  Is it really the unicorn the owner thinks it is?

Thanks!
-Richard

Offline cosmic erosion

Re: Old Tube Coliseum PA
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 11:12:21 am »
sell it to me.

Offline fatlizzard

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 11:32:24 am »
I've heard this is the amp Leslie West used to record Mississippi Queen!

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 11:39:41 am »
I've heard this is the amp Leslie West used to record Mississippi Queen!

I don't know specifically what he recorded with it, but he did use it for guitar.

The tone controls (more suitable for vocals I assume) operate about an octave higher than the normal guitar/bass range and gives a much thicker midrange tone.

Offline Butterylicious

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 03:55:50 pm »
This amp is not for sale.  Restoration began last night with some cleaning, parts order, and remounting the power transformer.  Cosmetically this amp is about a 6.5, electronically it will be 9 when it's all said and done.

Offline cosmic erosion

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 04:31:59 pm »
lame. haha. jk. great amp. one day i will have one....

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 05:12:41 pm »
This amp is not for sale.  Restoration began last night with some cleaning, parts order, and remounting the power transformer.  Cosmetically this amp is about a 6.5, electronically it will be 9 when it's all said and done.

Can't get to a 10 electronically? Why not?

Cheap tubes?   :-D

That power transformer does look like it's held on with bailing wire, chewing gum and maybe a few paperclips thrown in for good measure!!  :-o

Offline Butterylicious

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 09:35:02 pm »
Can't get a 10 because:

1.  Not the original power transformer.
2.  Inputs have been modified and it's owner likes the mods.
3.  Maybe a tube issue.  I'll know in a week when my friend gets back, hopefully with some matching GE KT88's.   :wink:

This amp almost got parted out.  I talked him out of it.  He's a young buck and I told him how it is. 

Anybody got a power switch with a working lamp?

Offline HRobert

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 12:55:24 am »
This is the head of what use to be called the Beach Boys Pa System...later changed to the Coliseum PA.  I have a 1967 brocheur that shows the system.  The PA had two  2 x 15 bottoms - each with 2 JBL AS130' s and a JBL 2402 bullet tweeter.  Then there was I believe a LE100S driver with a defraction horn on top in a seperate box.  It was a 3 way passive system with JBL passive crossover networks.

The head is about 120 W RMS....and really clean.  If you look as some of the old pics of Hendrix using Sunn, you'll see this head in the picture.  I'm told he liked it because the amp had a master volume and he could overdrive it by cranking the channel volume up to ten and lowering the master volume.

Rob