Author Topic: Sunn Hall of Fame  (Read 34729 times)

Offline mike

Sunn Hall of Fame
« on: November 07, 2000, 03:51:00 pm »
I've been thinking of getting the ball rolling on this for some time, but replying to the Badfinger post has finally got me motiviated. As this site is ultimate source for Sunn amp info, curiously there's no definitive historical list of notable users through the years. Now, while it would be virtually impossible to be all-inclusive, it would be fantastic if all of you could add to the list that I'm going to start, if you know of a player that at one time or another used Sunn amps. HOWEVER, there seems to be a fair amount of hearsay, conjecture, and flat-out misinformation as to who really used/uses Sunn gear. Even the present-day Sunn(via Fender)amp website puts forth some questionable information----Brian May? While Queen bassist John Deacon definitely used Sunn amps, May is a Vox AC-30 guy all the way.  Tommy Iommi? All that I've ever seen him use were Laney stacks...perhaps Geezer has used Sunn at some point. Kiss? Well, yeah, there are those old print ad endorsements, but Gene Simmons will whore himself out for a lot of things; I've only seen him use Ampeg SVT's. So, please, the only criteria for adding to this list should be that you've actually seen the player live, or live on TV, or an actual concert photo, or quoted in an interview, using Sunn. I'll add an "iffy" list also, open to discussion or verification from anyone. I realize that a lot of memories can be hazy(purple?), but let's try to keep this as historically accurate as possible!  Have fun with this...thanks.  If you have any doubts about(or imbellishments to) my listings, please feel free to point 'em out............................and the nominations are(in no particular order)..................The Kingsmen--Norm Sundholm(ground zero!); Jimi Hendrix Experience--Jimi and Noel Redding(of course, although Jimi himself wasn't too happy with Sunn, Noel thought they were the greatest amps); Buffalo Springfield--Bruce Palmer &/or Jim Messina; Grateful Dead--Phil Lesh(2000s cabs only); CCR--Stu Cook(2000s cabs only); Country Joe & the Fish(bass amps); Jefferson Airplane--Jack Cassidy(at least speaker cabs); It's A Beautiful Day(bass amp); New York Rock and Roll Ensemble--future film composer/rock orchestrator Michael Kamen(Coliseums); The Who--Pete Townshend(briefly) & John Entwistle(for a long time); The Buckinghams(guitar & bass amps); Cryin' Shames(another mid/late '60s Chicago band--bass amp); Mountain--Felix Pappalardi and Leslie West(do I have to explain it?); The Velvet Underground--Reed, Morrison, & Yule (full 1200s and 2000s rigs...just look on the back of the original "Loaded" LP); Lou Reed's back up band on the "Transformer" tour(Coliseum stacks); Jeff Beck Group #2--Beck(possibly) & bassist Clive Chapman(definitely--Coliseum stacks); Beck, Bogert, & Appice--Tim Bogert(Coliseums); Moody Blues--John Lodge(Coliseum stack); Queen--John Deacon; Todd Rundgren's Utopia(Coliseum); Fleetwood Mac(Peter Green era)--John McVie(cab only); Blue Oyster Cult--Joe Bouchard(Coliseum bass stack); Mahavishnu Orchestra--Rick Laird(Coliseum bass stack); Vandergraff Generator(great English '70s prog band)--Nic Potter(Concert bass rig); Beach Boys--earliest Sunn PA system; Bread--David Gates(Coliseum head & 2000s cab...I should know, I've got the cab!); The Dickies(early LA punk band--200s rig); Dead Kennedys--Klaus Flouride; Japan(unique English prog/new wave band)--Mick Karn(Coliseum); Little Feat--Kenny Gradney(Coliseum half-stack; look carefully on the cover of "Waiting For Columbus"); Steppenwolf--Nick St. Nicklaus(200s rigs); Glen Cornick(original Jethro Tull bassist) used a 412L cab in a mid-70's band with Bob Welch called "Paris".....jeez, did I leave anyone out?  (Yeah, I know, that mook with Kid Rock...well, maybe that guitar player is a nice guy, but Kid Rock is definitely a mook)..............So, here's my "I Don't Know, But I've Been Told" list.....If you look on the back of the first "Live Cream" album, there's a Sunn Orion cab in the middle of all the Marshall stacks....did Jack Bruce ever really use Sunn amps at any time as it's reported?  The Allman Bros:I think I've read that Berry Oakley used 2000s rigs; in one photo of the original band I've seen a 1200s head. Anybody know for sure? I've seen concert photos of Derek and the Dominoes with a Coliseum cab in the background; is that Clapton's or Carl Radle's? Did anyone actually see Gene use Sunn's live with Kiss? What about Geezer Butler with Sabbath? And finally, next time you watch "Gimmie Shelter" on video, look for the 200s(style) cab being used as a floor monitor for the Stones at Altamont...I wonder if it got destroyed by the Hell's Angels...on second thought, we all know nothing can destroy a Sunn speaker cabinet, right?

Offline rumblethump

Sunn Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2000, 01:44:00 pm »
Mike,

Man, you sure have done your homework.  Thanks for all the great info!!
A World without music would be WRONG!

Offline Norm Sundholm

Sunn Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2000, 03:20:00 pm »
Mike
Open for any questions you have.
Norm Sundholm

Offline nick

Sunn Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2000, 11:42:00 pm »

Great list !!  Just wanted to add, Jerry Scheff the studio bassist for The Doors LA Woman album is seen in photos using a 200S . Think ..Riders on the Storm

Offline mike

Sunn Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2000, 09:37:00 pm »
Yow! How could I have overlooked that one! Jerry also used a 2000s on stage with Elvis in his early '70s "Vegas comeback" days.

Offline sunn

Sunn Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2001, 10:06:00 pm »

Buzz from the Melvins uses Beta Leads.  They are kinda weird,  rack-mounted with most of the input/output section on the face.  He has 2.

Offline Tate Johnson

Sunn Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2001, 09:25:00 pm »
I think Three Dog Night used Sunn for bass; I'm also pretty sure that they used giant Tolex-covered Sunn leslies for the Hammond organ (however, I think that they were actually Hammond 900 or 910 series Leslies, but when Sunn got ahold of them, they put their "Sunn" badge on them and called them Sunn leslies; they got in trouble for doing the exact same thing with Hammond organs; I think they basically put their badge over the Hammond logo, and were fined big money for that!)

Offline Don T.

Sunn Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2001, 05:30:00 pm »
Hello:
 Yes Tommy Iommi was a endorser of Sunn. I have a poster from the 1984 NAMM that he signed at the booth.
Don T.
Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Offline mc2

Sunn Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2001, 01:55:00 am »
You may also want to consider the bands/artists who may not of necessarily used SUNN amps live (possibly some due to conflicting endorsement deals) BUT recorded studio tracks with them. The main recording studio in Rochester, NY during the '70s-'80s used a 200S in it's main room as the studio bass amp...one of the reasons I liked it, since I didn't have to bring my 2000S. I know Yes, Chuch Mangione, Lou Gramm and a lot of other major artists recorded there. I also recently picked up another 2000S that I was told had been a studio amp Stone Temple Pilots had used for recording.
 So, maybe you'd also like to document stuff like this where maybe the actual sound of SUNN can be heard and documented?
-jon

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Sunn Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2001, 09:04:00 am »
Rush: Geddy Lee
Isaac

Anonymous

Sunn Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2001, 09:00:00 pm »
Green Day records with a Coliseum Bass and 2x15 (mids) along with svt (lows).
News73

Offline brettpobastad

Sunn Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2001, 11:19:00 pm »
Great stuff! Actually it's Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath. I have a picture of Elvis and Jerry Scheff with a Sunn amp in the background.
Sunn SB-200 amp
G&L L-2000e bass
no effects
blues trio

Anonymous

Sunn Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2001, 10:11:00 pm »
Re: Sunn Bass rig for the Allmans - They were one of the first bands I saw, and the cabinets were those (2x15?) with the silver rectangles on the black grill cloth, the wide silver vertical stripe in mid cabinet going from top to bottom.  I believe that the heads were also Sunn, but cannot remember for sure.  I would bet money that those cabs had the D140F's - listen to The Allman Bros. Live at the Fillmore - those are definitely JBL D140s - deep, and smooooooth top.  Gotta love it.

Offline goathed1

Sunn Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2001, 07:50:00 pm »
Stephen O'Malley (Burning Witch,Sunn0))),
Khanate) and Greg Anderson (Goatsnake) both use SUNN amps. If you've heard any of these bands albums you'll experience the true destructive power of the SUNN.