Author Topic: SUNN photos anyone??  (Read 52115 times)

Offline rick.heil

Re: SUNN photos anyone??
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2007, 09:32:15 am »
Sweet.  I love it, and if I had the money I would SO buy it.  Alas, I am a poor college student and have no income.

Offline eotpr

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2007, 09:42:16 am »
What a shame.  It sounds great with the Sunn Sceptre. 

Offline jaywalker

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2007, 03:51:35 pm »
Hi all. I'm a newbie and this is my first post here so I might as well show my one and only Sunn head.

I just finished recapping, new power tubes, biasing and replacing the Normal pot. As soon as the others in the house awaken from their nap I'll get to put it through the paces by cranking it a bit...think I could wake them early  :evil:??? I'm missing a red logo so if anyone has one to sell or trade for a white one give me a yell. J.T.

Offline mc2

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2007, 05:40:11 pm »
Rick.heil,
   That is a VOX Mark VI they were made in '65-'68.  If anyone knows anything about vintage guitars I  sure could use some help with this.  The Italian made ones are supposed to be sunburst and are valued at around 1300.00.  The White ones should be made in England and are the Pete Townsend version and are Valued at 2000.00-3000.00.  Mine says it is made in Italy but it is wite so it is an odd duck.  It is in pertty much new condition.  The car that was posted comes from the Phantom Mark III and Mark VI I think.  Pretty cool.  I am trying to sell the white one but I don't really know if it is 1300.00 version or the 2000.00-3000.00 version. 

ACTUALLY....I believe you are mistaken and the ONLY Vox Townsend ever played was a Vox Cheetah. That one is a Gibson-ish ES335 looking hollowbody, NOT a Teardrop.  Townsend actually SMASHED that Vox during a TV appearance, the ONLY time he ever played it. I believe you are thinking of the late Brian Jones, the original guitarist of the Rolling Stones. He was a highly visible user of White Vox Teardrops and there IS actually one version know as the "Brian Jones Model." That one has a number of additional switches to the Mark VI.  So, I would say your's is the lasser valued one of the two. I own a regular Mark VI like your's that I found new laying in a store ages ago...still had the original hangtag one it from 1967!! Unfortunately, my house had a roof leak a few year ago in a bedroom closet and the Mark VI got wet and the finish got ruined.

I also have a pair of Vox Teardrop hollowbody 12-strings that have been my main recording 12's for years. Nice wide necks and that Rickenbacker jangle. The most famous recorded Ric 12 sounds done by the Byrds in the 60s were actually Ric 12's with the trebleboost circuit ripped out of a Vox and wired into them by Roger McGuinn!! So the secret to the sound that everyone claims is a Ric is really due to Vox. I've had every Ric 12 player offer to buy my Vos 12's after playing them.

And my main bass for many year was a Vox Teardrop hollowbody, thru a 2000S rig...I had two but one got knocked over on tour and the neck broke. My main one I replaced the PUPs in with DiMarzio Model Ones (they look like old Gibson EBO PUPs.) Gave me a great sound and cool controlled feedback effects when I wanted. The neck was pencil thin though, It's since been retired to my "basses I love and will never sell or hurt" pile.

I LOVE Vox Teardrops...such cool axes...except you cannot sit down and play them.

Offline eotpr

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2007, 04:36:20 pm »
You are correct.  It was Brian Jones.  I brain farted... :-D

Offline fatlizzard

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2007, 10:51:21 pm »
How do I place a photo in a posting?

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2007, 12:17:44 pm »
I think you need to have an imagehost first, then use the tags
Code: [Select]
[img]PICTURE LINK HERE[/img]
If you need an imagehost, try going to imageshack.us, it's free and easy and pretty reliable too.

Offline greystoke

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2007, 07:19:13 pm »
 Zowie! You have to be the 'one' to ask 'bout my recently acquired concert bass head w/matching 'big-*ss' cab. [See 2/22/07 Q&A post] Have to admit my unit look pretty forlorn compared with that impressive display! Also a follow up ? - Any vintage stuff?
greystoke :-o

Offline Johann

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2007, 04:34:52 pm »
here's a picture of all my sunn stuff along with my friend's 5150 and that red cab, those aren't mine

Offline fatlizzard

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2007, 04:44:36 pm »
Sonic1-40 cab.with D140, 200S cab.with D15S, 312S cab.with Sunn transducers, Concert Bass and Slave heads

Does anyone know if running Concert Bass heads on thier sides as in photo above will cause heating problems?

This setup can be heard live under subject Sunn Bass Tone!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 09:41:00 pm by fatlizzard »

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2007, 07:55:35 am »
Does anyone know if running Concert Bass heads on thier sides as in photo above will cause heating problems?

No, it won't cause heating problems. The heatsink and output transistors are mounted horizontally to the bottom of the case (in it's normal position). You'll probably get more consistent airflow through the case due to the "chimney" effect!

I'd be more concerned about the stability. Hmm... maybe a couple of bungie cords?

Offline fatlizzard

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2007, 10:23:07 pm »

Offline TheLustyGhost

• http://www.myspace.com/beardofboston
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2007, 09:07:48 am »

Photo from a show at MIT's steer roast last year.  Playing a coral sitar (Jerry Jones, not original) through my '68 solarus (lower right corner).  It's in the shop this week having problems left over from its previous servicing in January - and the new problems caused by the stuff they missed - fixed (I learned the hard way that being widely known does not necessarily mean that a tech will do good work), but once it gets back I'll be doing some recording with it.  Buries every other amp I've owned, apart from the b-15N.

Offline n!k

• N!
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2007, 10:06:48 pm »

1971 Sunn Coliseum Bass
197? Sunn 6 x 12 (loaded with Eminence Delta Bass 12" speakers)
My Sunn Amp:
1971 "Coliseum" Model T (Prototype, Made in Portland)