Author Topic: First gen model T with orange Sunn logo ?  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Fred

First gen model T with orange Sunn logo ?
« on: July 14, 2020, 12:38:11 am »
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have a question concerning my recently acquired 1974 Sunn model T (sorry in advance if this has been answered previously !). I was just wondering if someone could confirm me the bad boy is actually a first generation model T (pictures attached) ?

I ask this is because of the Sunn logo on the amp : despite the fact the control panel looks like a first gen (no mid boost), the front of the amp bears the orange logo. Maybe the logo has been replaced by previous owners, or maybe it is the original one I don?t know.

Many thanks in advance for your help and expert opinion :)
Looking forward to participating on the forum

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: First gen model T with orange Sunn logo ?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 05:34:01 am »
Sunns weren't real hard and fast with differences between the years. I'm pretty sure they used parts until they were gone rather than by the calendar.
I'd say that inspection sticker means it's a '74, however it's a late '74 date, and I don't know exactly what years they changed to the orange logo.
Maybe they ran out of black and silver logos a little early?
As you mentioned the logo plate may have been changed over the past 46 years as well.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 09:25:20 pm »
Check behind the logo to see if there is a second set of holes left by a prior logo. The amp doesn't have the red center knobs so I suspect someone just changed the logo. There are a couple of electronic components that were changed. Unless you are an experienced technician, have a qualified repair tech look at the amp.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 09:13:15 am »
For what it's worth, my Model T has the silver logo, silver knob centers and the mid selector switch. It's definitely a 2G. So why not a 1G with a red logo?
Isaac