Author Topic: SUNN Concert Bass Questions with Pictures  (Read 1777 times)

Offline vwcsonic

SUNN Concert Bass Questions with Pictures
« on: September 23, 2010, 12:40:46 pm »
Hi new guy here. Just got ahold of an old Sunn Concert Bass. (Inspected by date says 1972) The poor thing had been neglected for years, rust on parts, noisy pots/switches--total mess. Took it home and cleaned her up. Now it sounds great. The Distortion doesn't work, and the "Treble Boost" switch is dodgy, but don't like that anyway. Most important question is that upon opening up the head floating around inside were two capacitors. I've included photos below. One still has bare wire leads on it. The other had a single insulated lead and that broke off.

Anyway, wondering where they belong. The amp sounds fine, but would like to have these wired back in if they are necessary components. One I know came from the area near the Polarity switch, and there seems to be a bare wire sitting there that may have once connected to it. The other I have no idea. Any help would be welcome. As I'm a repair idiot, please be sure to include tips like--don't touch "xxx" while working or you will die.

By the way all the pots cleaned right up and sound quiet now. Plugged it in and wow!--just sounds great. Amazingly loud into a 4ohm 2x12 cab with Fane speaks. (yea I'm a guitar player, but my P-bass sounds great with this. Guitar not so great.) Thanks. PS: Is the distortion on these worth the trouble of trying to get it working??

Offline george

Re: SUNN Concert Bass Questions with Pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 01:47:37 pm »
those parts are capacitors used on the polarity switch and also across the mains switch. don't reconnect the polarity switch with this capacitor (you can see the lead hanging off the ground connection in your picture). If you are going to replace the cap that's usually found across the mains switch - you should use one that's UL/CSA/VDE rated.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: SUNN Concert Bass Questions with Pictures
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:31:49 am »
I never cared for the sound of the distortion. Not worth bothering with, IMO, other than the fact that it would make the amp more nearly mint. OTOH, you might like it.
Isaac