Author Topic: Info....  (Read 1239 times)

Offline RayK

Info....
« on: November 15, 2021, 04:57:58 pm »
Hey folks,
So this is a cool forum. Just really discovered it. In 1968 I had a 200S with the 2x15 JBL D-140F's. Gigged with it until 1984.
Recently came upon a 200S head. I forgot how good it sounded!
Anyway a friend of mine saw I was into Sunn and asked if I knew anything about these.
Thanks for your help.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Info....
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 10:56:36 am »
I don't know anything about it, myself, but a lot of people think that it works well as a guitar amp!
Isaac

Offline RayK

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 11:29:47 am »
Thanks Isaac, I was more concerned with the speaker cab. The owner isn't sure what's in there or how big it is.
Maybe more info would be available here.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 12:29:16 pm »
Okay. Let's start with what it says on the jack plate. Typically, there's a model number on the back.

I can't tell much by looking, but it appears to have a horn, implying that it's a PA speaker. No idea what kind of low frequency driver it might have, but it doesn't look like a JBL to me. Something about the dust cover.

Speaking stricly for myself, I tend to like the sound of PA speakers for bass. I like the extended upper range. Many bass drivers don't do much above 2KHz, and most basses have another octave of overtones above that. The downside is that many PA speakers are lacking on the low end. That's not a problem for a lot of bass players. Many even use high pass filters to block the low end from their instruments. I go the other direction, and add a subwoofer!
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 09:21:33 am »
That Alpha 6 is late '70's early 80's, and that speaker looks to be same era. Wouldn't have a factory installed JBL for sure, probably a Model 6 rated @ 100 watts and 8 ohms.

In the last regularly gigging band I played for, I sort of used a PA speaker for stage volume. I mic'ed a '68 200S into a Sonic I40 cab with a K140, and took a monitor feed from the board into a JBL PRX812 pointed at my head. The rest of the band was on in-ears. I can't get into in-ears myself, I don't seem to play as well when I can't get that organic audio bond with the drum kit and audience interaction.
So I had my bass on one channel of the PRX and and a FOH feed on the other input, and I could mix and EQ the monitor with my iPad.

I'm on board and in agreement with Isaac's comments about overtones above the response curve of most bass drivers, but I gave up on compression drivers for bass decades ago. For me personally, there's really nothing up there that adds to the tone I'm looking for from a bass guitar.

Offline RayK

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 10:26:40 am »
Appreciate all the input! Thanks. I'll ask the owner if he can gleen more info from the cab. I think he wants to sell these both, so as much info that's available would be helpful. Not sure what the market for these items would be, as far as price.