Author Topic: Coliseum question  (Read 1341 times)

Offline claytoy

• Shield of Faith
Coliseum question
« on: February 24, 2022, 07:42:17 pm »
I keep hearing about a coliseum 750. What are they talking about.  I have and gig with a coliseum 300. Maybe somebody can shed some light on this coliseum 750 thing thank you.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Coliseum question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 12:35:34 am »
There was a model named Coliseum 880 that came out in 1975. It was similar to the Coliseum Bass with a slightly different preamp.

Where are you hearing about a Coliseum 750 ?

Offline claytoy

• Shield of Faith
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 01:17:09 pm »
A sunn group on Facebook. I may have miss read but if there is an 880 maybe that's what they ment. What is the coliseum 880?  Is it for bass?  Power?
Thanks

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 12:31:51 am »
The Coliseum 880 was advertised as a "One Amp Does It All" kind of thing. It's kind of like the Coliseum Bass but it has a Fuzz-Distortion circuit added. I have one, have never been able to get it to sound good. All 70's Coliseum's have really odd ball tone controls. Might sound better with a Concert Bass Preamp. The Coliseum 300 came out in the 80's. It's quite different compared to the 70's amps.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 11:31:52 am »
Yes, the Coliseum amps are oddballs. The tone controls are really more like non-graphic equalizers, essentially separate channels for each frequency band. They don't interact the way traditional tone controls do. I remember reading that John Entwistle used Coliseum amps to biamp his rig; he just turned the low tone controls up and the high controls down for feeding the 118 cabinets, and vice versa for the 412s.

Thud, maybe your Coliseum might sound better fed by a Sansamp or similar.
Isaac

Offline claytoy

• Shield of Faith
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 10:49:35 pm »
Thankyou guys I appreciate the feedback.