Author Topic: Speaker Cone Treatment?  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Jeff Troy

Speaker Cone Treatment?
« on: March 24, 2011, 10:49:33 am »
Hi, Guys,

Kinda pulling this one from that dark place, but is anyone aware of a helpful (in any way) treatment for speaker cones?

Armor-XXX (you know the one) restores and shines vinyl, but there is a terrible price to pay. It's great if you use it consistently, but if you ever stop, the vinyl dries and stiffens. If the vinyl is pliable, and not covering a hard surface, it soon cracks and splits. This is TERRIBLE stuff.

I'm sure there must be something that some brilliant techie came up with for putting some life back into old cones, but I have no idea what it may be - or if it even exists at all.

My main goal is allowing a dry, older cone to relax a bit and reduce the risk of possible damage from renewed usage -- but without the dry-out downside of some popular-but-inferior vinyl restorers.

Anybody know of any tricks or products for this?

Thanks and regards,
759 New Holland Ave.
Lancaster PA 17602
C: 717-917-3670
www.bandmix.com/jefftroy
www.jefftroy.com (under construction)

Offline Rex B

Re: Speaker Cone Treatment?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 11:04:55 am »
Jeff. Assuming it is a paper cone, a few coats of clear spray lacquer will help reduce the brittleness and put some strength back in it. Use a few thin coats, just kind of "fogging" it in, get it as even as you can over the surface . Do the back side of the cone as well as you can also, though it can be a challenge getting behind the basket spokes. Put tape over the speaker terminals.  Good luck. PS: Don't put lacquer on a foam surround...it'll dissolve it.
Engineer Sunn 1977-1983, Fender 1984-1990
Model T Red Knob
200S Cabinet JBL D140Fs
Sunn SB 300 (Proto Coliseum 300)

Offline Johnny Guitar

Re: Speaker Cone Treatment?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:48:28 pm »
Good question Jeff!
Rex do you know what teatment was used on JBL D-130 & D-140 edges?
Thanks,
Johnny G