Author Topic: Questions about 1000S.  (Read 1265 times)

Offline IKOH2OH

Questions about 1000S.
« on: May 12, 2006, 09:36:30 am »
Long story short.

Early 80's.

Myself as a snot nosed prepub paperboy.  

A player on my route used a generic Les Paul style ax(the kind with built-in effects) through a "SUNN Bass Amp".  The tone haunts me today.

I'm considering bidding on a 1000S.

I have read on-line reviews.  
Going from "Clean all the way up" to "Very clean to 3, 6/7+ serious fuzz."

Which of these is an accurate analogy, or is it more of a happy medium?

Hell of High Water, I will own a SUNN.

Good Day

IKO

Offline lowtones

Questions about 1000S.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 11:15:38 am »
I have a '69 1000S (before they changed the grill cloth) in perfect working order. I got it in the 70's on a trade for (of all things) 2 Dynaco 60's. My friend restored it for me and, though it's not my full time amp, I have used it many times and keep it as a spare. Even though it's a guitar amp (and I'm a bass player) it sounds wonderful for low volume gigs. It is very clean though it is easy to overdrive the preamp stage with a bass, especially with an active instrument. I haven't had my guitar player use it yet, but I think it would sound really good and he'd be hard pressed to overdrive it (like a Twin). This is great stuff - but make no mistake, it weighs a TON!

Good luck in your quest.

lt

Offline IKOH2OH

I bought the 1000S
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 11:36:35 am »
Greetings.

Yes, the quest is over.

The 1000S takes its rightful place.

Will be here in 3-5 days.

From what the people @ the store report (Good-N-Loud in Madison WI, very reputeable) the amp is clean with a warm 3D sound at lower settings, good for use with modern effects as it will give a much needed (IMHO) "organic" aura.  

But, when cranked  welcome to JIMIVILLE.  Talking vintage late 60's Lion Roar, not, 80's hair-rock Baboon-screeching-in-a-tin-can.

Of course the standard, wear ear-plugs, and make sure the cabs can take it, and don't do it indoors, warnings were issued to me.

When asked how it compared to brand "M" overdrive.  The man said at least as much gain, if not more, and not as "nasilily."  Which suites me just fine.

Asked how it stacks up against a newer 100W tube like the Sovtek MiG-100 (dumb question, I know).  Of course the Sovtek doesn't come close.

Good Day

IKOH2OH